ND-I Feel Like Crap :(

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ttorion
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ND-I Feel Like Crap :(

Post by ttorion »

dihappy wrote:I called the police and the first thing that came out of my mouth was: "Hi, my name is Henry and id like to report a ND of my firearm"
Just curious....is it necessary / recommended to call the police in this type of situation?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 5

Post by txinvestigator »

ttorion wrote:
dihappy wrote:I called the police and the first thing that came out of my mouth was: "Hi, my name is Henry and id like to report a ND of my firearm"
Just curious....is it necessary / recommended to call the police in this type of situation?
I was going to ask why he did that too,....

Unless he lives in some type of multi-family housing housing where he was afraid someone would call in for the gun shot, I don't think it was necessary.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 5

Post by txinvestigator »

MoJo wrote:There are two kinds of gun owners those who have had an AD/ND and those who are going to.
Completely disagree.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

txinvestigator wrote:Unless he lives in some type of multi-family housing housing where he was afraid someone would call in for the gun shot, I don't think it was necessary.
No law could require you to call the police to report an offense that you committed (discharging a firearm in city limits, etc.).

Shots are often reported. More often than not, the sound is probably fireworks. If the police take time to look around and don't see anything going on, there's nothing more they can do.

- Jim

shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

txinvestigator wrote:
MoJo wrote:There are two kinds of gun owners those who have had an AD/ND and those who are going to.
Completely disagree.
I agree with your "disagree"

I believe that type of "fatalist" notion inherently, intentionally or not, leads to a "well it's gonna happen to me some day" mindset and thus promotes, again intentionally or not, a lowering of standards and expectations. I prefer to tell myself that if I religiously follow all of the prescribed safety precautions and not, under any circumstances, deviate from my adherance to them then I will not have an, as the gubment is wont to call it, incident.

Now, does this mean that it can't happen to me? No. It simply means that I refuse to think that it is a given that it will.

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dihappy »

Yes, i live in an apartment complex.

Actually the one officer said he wouldnt of called it in if it were him, lol.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dihappy wrote:Yes, i live in an apartment complex.

Actually the one officer said he wouldnt of called it in if it were him, lol.
I'm glad you brought that up...I was holding back untill you or someone else might have mentioned this...

I could lean both ways on this, and at least your intent was to cover your bases, just in case...

You did ok...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

shaggydog wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Completely disagree.

I believe that type of "fatalist" notion inherently, intentionally or not, leads to a "well it's gonna happen to me some day" mindset and thus promotes, again intentionally or not, a lowering of standards and expectations. I prefer to tell myself that if I religiously follow all of the prescribed safety precautions and not, under any circumstances, deviate from my adherance to them then I will not have an, as the gubment is wont to call it, incident.

Now, does this mean that it can't happen to me? No. It simply means that I refuse to think that it is a given that it will.
I dissagree with your agreement of Txi's disagreement...

I do not believe it is fatalistic, nor would an acceptance of the odds of it happening encourage or somewhat instill some lowering of personal safety procedures that could make the odds of it happening greater...

We see what happens to someone else here, and we talk about it, console, do a personal gut-check and move on...

Lets make a deal here...If something like this happens to a member of this forum...Lets accept the fact, lets reveal it to everyone, discuss it, learn from it and move on...

I promise no matter how bad it is, if it happens to me, I'll be open and let everyone take a crack at where I may have made a mistake...I would want everyone to learn from it so that it might not happen to someone else...

Thats as brutally honest as I can be...Thats not hoping it happens, its not fatalistic, if anything I believe it makes you think twice and then some before you do something with a firearm...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

dihappy wrote:...

Today my GF and i were on our way out, i have been sick in bed for 2 days and she convinced me to go to the doctor today ....
If this sickness included either fever or one of the many dehydrating symptoms, your mental capacity was diminished. It is a good idea to refrain from handling firearms unless absolutely necessary when ones mental state has been altered by chemicals, fatigue or illness. This is not meant as a slam but studies show hunter's have a lot more accidents when tired and or ill even with just a simple cold.

Don't be to harsh on yourself, by strict adherance to Rule 2 your ND had minor consequences and it will act as a personal lesson to help you refrain from repeating it.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
shaggydog wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Completely disagree.

I dissagree with your agreement of Txi's disagreement...

I do not believe it is fatalistic, nor would an acceptance of the odds of it happening encourage or somewhat instill some lowering of personal safety procedures that could make the odds of it happening greater...

OK.

We see what happens to someone else here, and we talk about it, console, do a personal gut-check and move on...

What does this have to do with my post?

Lets make a deal here...If something like this happens to a member of this forum...Lets accept the fact, lets reveal it to everyone, discuss it, learn from it and move on...

I don't disagree but what does this have to do with my comment back to MoJo?

I promise no matter how bad it is, if it happens to me, I'll be open and let everyone take a crack at where I may have made a mistake...I would want everyone to learn from it so that it might not happen to someone else...

Me too but what does this have to do with my post?

Thats as brutally honest as I can be...Thats not hoping it happens, its not fatalistic, if anything I believe it makes you think twice and then some before you do something with a firearm...

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Gentlemen,
Lets please head this one back to encouraging dihappy over his mistake.
This exchange is getting close to argumentative.
Thank you.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

I just recently switched from my Glock to my 1911 for carry. If your always cocked and locked you never have to wonder if the chamber is empty. I also press check every time I put my weapon on. I did this when I carried my Glock which I still keep loaded. And yes I had an ND 25 years ago and it's as fresh in my mind today as when it happened.

papabear

Post by papabear »

longtooth wrote:Gentlemen,
Lets please head this one back to encouraging dihappy over his mistake.
This exchange is getting close to argumentative.
Thank you.
LT
I read way more than type but thank you.

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

I keep thinking about how fortunate you were to point the gun in a safe direction when pulling the trigger. So that part of your safe gun handling practices paid off well. It could have been a lot worse.

Thank you for posting this. I'm a newbie to guns in general, and I need to be reminded every now and then that if folks a lot more experienced than me can have an ND, I sure could.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Fosforos wrote:I keep thinking about how fortunate you were to point the gun in a safe direction when pulling the trigger. So that part of your safe gun handling practices paid off well. It could have been a lot worse.

Thank you for posting this. I'm a newbie to guns in general, and I need to be reminded every now and then that if folks a lot more experienced than me can have an ND, I sure could.
Sometimes the newer folks are safer than the old veterans. Folks that handle guns all the time can develop habits and sometimes get a little casual. New users that understand and know the rules may be less likely to take things for granted.

Of course its gonna be the folks that have been around a while who get to explain all this safety stuff in the first place.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Never Again!!”