ND at the gun club today during monthly pistol match

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SigM4
Posts in topic: 5

ND at the gun club today during monthly pistol match

Post by SigM4 »

Wow, talk about a lucky dude. Out at my gun club's monthly pistol match. It's loosely based on USPSA but is more of a means for members to put their skills to the test than it is about competition.

At the end of a string of fire an older gentleman (who has shot these numerous times before) was instructed to drop his mag and show clear. Instead he dropped his mag and immediately went back to re-holster his firearm. As was doing so a portion of his "race gun" holster somehow got inside the trigger guard of his 1911 and the gun went off. I was standing about 10' behind him and watched the whole thing happen, his finger was definitely on the safety spot on the slide and not near the trigger.

The .45 SWC bullet entered his upper right thigh, exited above the knee before entering his upper right calf and exiting the lower right calf. On it's way into the dirt the bullet caught the edge of his boot putting a hole in it.

I immediately started to run to my truck for a tourniquet while others closer to him helped him to the ground and applied pressure by hand to the wounds. Fortunately another member standing nearby had a TQ on him and they were able to get it on him within a minute or so of the incident. An off-duty sheriff's deputy that had been standing next to me chatting took control of the scene and began assigning tasks. "You, call 911", "You, get a chair". Since I was already in the parking lot I hollered back that I would head to the front gate to direct first responders. Due to where the club is it took about 20 mins for EMS to arrive, the whole while no one panic'd but rather attended to the situation in an orderly and controlled manner.

Luckily the bullet did not hit any bone or arteries and the gentleman was conscious and attentive when paramedics arrived.

Just goes to show what can happen with a momentary lapse in attention to what one is doing.

Here's a pic of the bullet we were able to dig out of the dirt.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ND at the gun club today during monthly pistol match

Post by oljames3 »

Are you carrying your tourniquet now?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

It’s funny you say that because there were probably three or four of us that all commented regarding carrying a tourniquet on our person going forward. I spent part of yesterday afternoon shopping for a pouch or holder so I can mount it on my shooting belt.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

I’m convinced that if you are carrying a firearm you should have a tourniquet on your person. TQ is as much a part of my everyday carry as pistol and magazines.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am I’m convinced that if you are carrying a firearm you should have a tourniquet on your person. TQ is as much a part of my everyday carry as pistol and magazines.
:iagree:

I always have a TQ on my person as well as in the car kit. It may look a bit goofy, but better safe than sorry.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

SigM4 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:07 am It’s funny you say that because there were probably three or four of us that all commented regarding carrying a tourniquet on our person going forward. I spent part of yesterday afternoon shopping for a pouch or holder so I can mount it on my shooting belt.
North American Rescue, Tactical Medical Solutions, and Philster can help with pouches and frames. The SOFTT-W folds flat enough to fit in a pocket. Don't buy medical on Amazon. Too many fakes. I carry a SOFTT-W Gen3 in my pocket IFAK with a SOFTT-W Gen4 and a CAT-7 in my trauma kit.
https://www.narescue.com/catalogsearch/ ... uet+holder
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product ... nd-pouches
https://www.phlsterholsters.com/product ... y/medical/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I get all my medical supplies for my kits from Rescue Essentials. Much prefer the CAT TQs though as you note they don’t fold as flat as the SOFTT options.

I always though having one in the truck ~20 yds away was sufficient. Yesterday’s incident proved that this is not the case.

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

I think holstering a gun is the most dangerous thing you can do with a gun.
Last edited by philip964 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Once at a training class a lady was holstering her pistol and it discharged. It's been 20 years or so. I don't remember if she had her finger on the trigger or not. It scraped her outer thigh about 2-3 inches, literally a scrape not a penetration. It bled some but not significantly. She was VERY fortunate.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I'm usually wearing a belt when I'm out with my PB's. Airguns, maybe not so much.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Glad to hear the unfortunate situation was handled well.

I'm convinced that training is more important than equipment. Stop the bleed, CPR, AED, First Aid, TC3 can all be important. Some situations require equipment, but every medical situation requires knowledge of what to do.

A your home and car are a great places to keep medical kits, but it certainly is a great idea to have one with your range bag as well.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 pm I think bolstering a gun is the most dangerous thing you can do with a gun.
Yes and no.

DFW has regular visits to the ER from those who had a discharge from a holstered gun. If it is a strong side holster the wound is generally non-life threatening. They will live, and hopefully learn.

Appendix carry is a whole different thing. That is the most dangerous thing you can do with a gun. Moral of the story is don't have a holster AD if you appendix carry.

Training is vital, but there are also real world reasons for things like manual safeties and Israeli carry.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am
philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 pm I think bolstering a gun is the most dangerous thing you can do with a gun.
Yes and no.

DFW has regular visits to the ER from those who had a discharge from a holstered gun. If it is a strong side holster the wound is generally non-life threatening. They will live, and hopefully learn.

Appendix carry is a whole different thing. That is the most dangerous thing you can do with a gun. Moral of the story is don't have a holster AD if you appendix carry.

Training is vital, but there are also real world reasons for things like manual safeties and Israeli carry.
OK. Now I have to ask. Does my pistol have to get its bolstering from a licensed therapist? Personally, I feel that my M&P's self esteem is just fine and needs no bolstering. :biggrinjester:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm sitting here in my hotel room looking at my IFAK on the desk next to my computer, next to my N95 mask. :roll:

As I get older, the things I can't seem to leave home without keep getting curiouser.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Odinvalknir »

Someone told me once, there are no ACCIDENTAL discharges. Only negligent ones. Point being when dealing with a tool such as a firearm, you shouldn't allow any accidents. I feel that's true. In the chemical plants our safety culture says ALL accidents are preventable, both with proper training and planning.

For me, if I thought my holster had even a 1% chance of causing a discharge it would be in the trash. Wearing a proper holster is just one part of proper planning. Training is knowing how to draw and holster your firearm properly without shooting yourself.

Return to “Never Again!!”