Lee Classic turret press

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
atxbandit
Posts in topic: 5

Lee Classic turret press

Post by atxbandit »

I am thinking about starting to load my own and wondering what people here think about this press. Cabela's has a kit for $165. I can get started for less than $300 total. Anyone use this press and if so what do you think?
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
http://www.texasguntalk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NRA Life member
TSRA member

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lee Classic turret press

Post by MoJo »

I don't own a Lee Turret press, I know a few guys who do, they are happy with theirs.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Turrets are a good cheap alternative to progressives, so long as you're not trying to feed a weekly IPSC habit. The Lee is a good one.

Fosforos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Fosforos »

I have this press and it is very good. Sturdy, attractively priced, easy to use and understand. Some folks say they can load over 200 rounds an hour on one. I can keep up a rate of about 130/hour, and that is including occasionally checking the powder throw weight on a scale, and some short breaks.

Extra turrets are cheap (about $10) - definitely get one for each caliber you load and have dies for. Changing calibers is as easy as swapping turrets once you have the dies set up properly, snapping in the proper shell holder, and changing the primer arm to small or large. Takes 30 seconds or less.

The (optional) Safety Prime system frustrated me enough to where I don't bother with it any more, but I might give it another try now that I have seen others make it work well for them after some tinkering. http://www.loadmastervideos.com has some excellent tips & tricks for the Classic turret, even though it's mainly for the Loadmaster press.

The auto-index can easily be turned off by just removing the index rod, if you want to do the steps in batches for any reason.

Go for it!

Topic author
atxbandit

Post by atxbandit »

Yea I like the idea of being able to turn off the auto index. I read a review online where the reviewer stated that it takes 20 or so powder drops till they get consistant. Was this your experience?

NRA Life member
TSRA member

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

atxbandit wrote:Yea I like the idea of being able to turn off the auto index. I read a review online where the reviewer stated that it takes 20 or so powder drops till they get consistant. Was this your experience?
No, I get consistant drops from the beginning. I haven't been loading for very long myself, and only have experience with two sorts of powder though (Hogdon Universal and Vihtavuori N320). I suppose some powders may not meter as well.

The powder hopper is made out of plastic and it can be affected by static cling, especially when brand new. I have never had problems with it though, but have seen tips from others with static problems including wiping the insides of the hopper with a dryer sheet, or washing it in soapy water and drying without rinsing.

Seeing how to powder measure works, by filling a certain size cavity with powder and dropping that load into the case when actuated by the case going into the powder through expanding die, I really don't see how it could be inconstistant, unless something stops the powder from filling that cavity.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Fosforos wrote:Seeing how to powder measure works, by filling a certain size cavity with powder and dropping that load into the case when actuated by the case going into the powder through expanding die, I really don't see how it could be inconstistant, unless something stops the powder from filling that cavity.
Some people tend to be too gentle with the powder measure. I don't mean to say you should "slam it", but a consistent snappy stroke in both directions will give the most consistent loads. Don't worry about variations of a couple tenths of a grain.

As for the static charge, there isn't much you can do about it. Rubbing it with a cloth may make it worse. A soft cotton cloth would probably be best to wipe off any dust or residual powder. The plastic powder reservoir is going to hold a static charge. Your powder is essentially a plastic, too, so both will hold a static charge.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
atxbandit

Post by atxbandit »

Thanks for the info Fosforos and WildBill. The reviewer that got the inconsistant drops did mention initial static cling causing the problem. As humid as its been lately I don't think I will have problems.

NRA Life member
TSRA member

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I have been using the Lee turret for over 2 years and it can not be beat for the price.

I get very consistant powder drops using Win 231 powder (less than 10 fps varience in round velocity) and I just drop and throw back the first 10 charges before starting a reloading session. I don't let the powder measure get under 1/4 down without refilling(basically every 50s round I top off the hopper)

I began by weighing powder charge and measuring OAL on every 10th round but now only check every 25th.

If you shoot less than 1000 rounds a month this press is your best bet for the money imho.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

stroo

Post by stroo »

I use a Lee turret press as well. It has worked fine for me. I did have some consistency problems when I used Unique powder. However with every other powder I have used, the charges have been very consistent.

Topic author
atxbandit

Post by atxbandit »

Thanks all, I've placed my order. Getting the classic turret kit from Cabela's. Now I have to decide on what powder and primer to use. I will probably start a new thread for input.

NRA Life member
TSRA member

aerod1

Post by aerod1 »

You will be happy with tis press. I have one and consider it the best deal for the money. I have no problems with inconsistant powder drops. My Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure works great!! I use Bullseye, W231 and 2400 so far in my LCT and all have worked great!
Congrats on a great press :cheers2: !
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Texas CHL, C&R 03 FFL
US Navy veteran, USS Midway (V-1 division)

Topic author
atxbandit

Post by atxbandit »

I'm still waiting for my shipment. Cabela's shipped the press on the 3rd but didn't ship the dies, caliper, and Speer #13 till yesterday the 9th. I still haven't decided what powder to use. I am considering both Bullseye and Win231. As far as primers, Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd edition" recomends either CCI or Winchester so I am going to buy which ever is cheaper. I will be loading for 40 S&W for starters. In the future I will probably load some rounds for my 243 and when I get around to buying an AR I will load for it also.

NRA Life member
TSRA member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Personally I prefer the 231 & Winchester primers to go w/ it.

BTW I find the CCI primers to be very tight.

YMMV
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bajorn5

Post by bajorn5 »

I have had one for 2 years now. It has always worked well.
I use it to load:
32 ACP
9mm
45 ACP

5.7x28 FN
Walther PPS 9mm

Return to “Reloading Forum”