For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Making a bullet alloy

Post by AndyC1911 »

Lovely stuff.

Would those ingot molds happen to be the Cast Boolits molds? I seem to recognize the l'il nub on the molds.

Lena
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Lena »

Sure are they drop slightly over 2# each. We used them so long we had to put a fan on them to cool off.
Stay Safe

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wheelgun1958 »

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MaduroBU »

MaduroBU wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:49 am I've repeatedly wondered if it's worth it to get into copper bullet casting. I assume that there would be a machining step involved, but the end result could be a very high quality projectile.
Copper would be tough to cast - I assume you mean making something like an FMJ, swaging a lead core into a copper shell - or machining a monolithic copper bullet?
[/quote]

Machining a monolithic solid, but let me explain. Some processes like swaging are really simply with giant machines but really tough without them. I've devoted a lot of time to pondering how I would go about making bullets if I really needed to, and cast/machined copper solids keep coming back up. The reasoning is based upon three considerations: tools that I can get/use, my aversion to lead, suitability of one process for rifle and pistol and precision. My thought was that casting copper into oversized rods (say 0.5") and then machining it first into a smaller 0.355" or 0.308" rod and thereafter into bullets would be far easier than attempting to press bullet jackets, and FAR more precise with the tools and expertise that I have available. I use FMJ/OTM/HP/AMAX bullets all the time and generally love lead's greater sectional density, but I will absolutely never have the machinery to efficiency swage the giant lead wires or roll, stamp, cup and press the giant copper plates that Hornady or Berger do. I was lucky to get to tour the Hornady factory as a kid and am still struck by the sheer mass of those machines (several of which are needed to complete a bullet).

Lena
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Lena »

With our shooting volume casting FOR US is the best way to go for me, buddy has been casting 3 days straight now next week will be a reloading day or 2 for sure, we shot today was a great one to be outside. Then had a good meal. Burger home baked buns and tater tots with ice water.
Stay Safe

Return to “Reloading Forum”