How cost effective is reloading?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 7

How cost effective is reloading?

Post by papajohn1964 »

Myself and a couple of buddies are pondering the thought of getting into reloading. We each shoot about 200 round of 9mm per month. Assuming we buy can buy 100 rounds at Wally World for about $20 is it really worth the investment?
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How cost effective is reloading?

Post by powerboatr »

papajohn1964 wrote:Myself and a couple of buddies are pondering the thought of getting into reloading. We each shoot about 200 round of 9mm per month. Assuming we buy can buy 100 rounds at Wally World for about $20 is it really worth the investment?
i have to get over to wally world
last time i saw a range pack of 100 rounds for the 9mm is was $42
if you can buy 100 for $20 its a bargain. I currently if i re-use my brass it cost me right at .13 cents per built up cartridge, i amortize the hazmat fee into my costs for powder so the bigger the jug 5 or 8 pounder it drives the per round cost down.
if i have to buy new brass its .31 cents per cartridge, brass fluctuates wildly in my area, and i usually get un primed or fired ONCE brass from an indoor range

hope it helps
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

not worth your time if you shoot 9mm. However, It is fun and addictive.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Not counting equipment costs, you can load 9mm for $5.50 per 50 using lead bullets. My cost for 357 Sig jhp is $6.50 per 50.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The last time I figured mine up I could load 50 rounds of 45acp for $5. Maybe not so good for 9mm, but with other calibers well worthwhile.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Darn the cost! It is a manly thing to do! Why does it have to be cost effective to feel the powder grains trickle into the measure, lick the lead from your fingers, grip the primers with your teeth!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

That all depends. Hand-loading is a positive reinforced system. By that I mean the more you shoot, the more you'll save. Typically, the more you buy in bulk, the more you'll save. Depending on the caliber, you'll be able to save more on some. If you even have an idea in your head about hand-loading, then start save your own brass on your range trips. Every little bit helps and it's a good way to give you a head start. :tiphat:

michael e

Post by michael e »

My 9mm is just under 5 a box. That's bulk and using lead. 9mm is not much of a savings but it is still about 40%.
Now my 44 mag I can load 1k for what 100 would cost if bought loaded ammo.
It also allows me time to myself since when I shut the door to reload no one bothers me.

Topic author
papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by papajohn1964 »

powerboatr wrote:
papajohn1964 wrote:Myself and a couple of buddies are pondering the thought of getting into reloading. We each shoot about 200 round of 9mm per month. Assuming we buy can buy 100 rounds at Wally World for about $20 is it really worth the investment?
i have to get over to wally world
last time i saw a range pack of 100 rounds for the 9mm is was $42
if you can buy 100 for $20 its a bargain. I currently if i re-use my brass it cost me right at .13 cents per built up cartridge, i amortize the hazmat fee into my costs for powder so the bigger the jug 5 or 8 pounder it drives the per round cost down.
if i have to buy new brass its .31 cents per cartridge, brass fluctuates wildly in my area, and i usually get un primed or fired ONCE brass from an indoor range

hope it helps

FORTY TWO DOLLARS?!?! I had to look up to make sure I was on TXchlforum and not CAchlforum! WOW! Winchester white box is always $20 - $22 for 100. I bought some Remington last time for $9 something for 50. Bought all 8 boxes that they had.

I figure even if its break even it will be worth it just to have fun. The next question is where is a good place to buy the equipment? If there are 4 of us splitting the cost will $100 each get us started with what we need for 9mm with the option to add other dies later?
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

anygunanywhere wrote:Darn the cost! It is a manly thing to do! Why does it have to be cost effective to feel the powder grains trickle into the measure, lick the lead from your fingers, grip the primers with your teeth!

Anygunanywhere
I am not a man so are you saying thats the wo-manly thing to do?
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we are headed to wally world tonight
I think east texans (mineola) are getting gouged..it was 42 two weeks ago
we stocked up on 20 and 12 ga shells by the 100 pack. I was going to grab a box of 9mm for grins 42 stopped me dead
i have to go to tyler end of week and will check there

thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

urnoodle wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Darn the cost! It is a manly thing to do! Why does it have to be cost effective to feel the powder grains trickle into the measure, lick the lead from your fingers, grip the primers with your teeth!

Anygunanywhere
I am not a man so are you saying thats the wo-manly thing to do?
Absolutely. Pardon my not noticing the feminine nature of your handle.

Whatever fluffs your skirt, ma'am. :tiphat:

Equality, right to vote, all that and more.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Reloading Forum”