Trying Bayou Bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Trying Bayou Bullets

Post by mr surveyor »

Charles

I'm betting it's because I did in fact order revolver boolits. When I called and asked Mr. Donnie if he had the .44 boolits "in stock", he said he had a few on the shelf and could fill small orders. He laughed when I said I only needed 500 ... apparantly a tiny order, and said they'd ship the next morning. I do have a buddy in Louisiana that wanted to order for .357 and .44, but rather than call and place his own order he decided to save a couple of dollars in shipping and jumped into a huge group buy with a few competition shooters. He's been waiting for over a month and expecting to wait another couple of weeks. My guess is there are revolver bullets, maybe in small quantities, still on the shelf but pistol bullets aren't even seeing the shelf.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

I emailed Donnie a couple of weeks ago to order more bullets (I did not look at his web site). He replied back and said it would be 12 weeks at least before he was caught up and that his web site stated he was not taking orders. I have enough to use for matches for now and will use regular cast bullets for all my practice :-(.

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

Interesting. What is the green coating--is that a St. Paddy's special? :)

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

here's a pic from a batch of the 240 gr lswc's I loaded tonight. Might have to do a little project rescheduling early in the week, if the wind will lay a bit, so I can make a quick range trip to check them out.

The green coating is a dry lube that Donnie gets from a company in Australia. I believe it's a two step process in that the first coating that shows up as a gold color is applied directly to the lead to help bond the final green lube coating - then it's all baked on. The finished product almost feels like a hardened epoxy paint finish, but it's certainly not.

surv

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Too bad we can't get bullets in many different colors so we could color code our loads.
I don't guess there is any way to color the brass? Like aluminum can be anodized in colors.

Years ago I worked at Dresser Atlas building oil field trucks and offshore skids (was in electrical department) I was able to take my aluminum motorcycle parts to the paint shop and anodize them a goldish color..really looked good on a dirt bike..!!
That, or I could have painted the ORANGE, which was their color, they had plenty of it. :mrgreen:

Don2

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I often make several different powder loads to range test and put them into the same box in batches of 5-10. I just hit the primers with a different color of magic marker and log the color to the load data records.

Other than that, if you're making full boxes of a specific load, it's just a matter of either taping to or inserting into the full box a standardized load data card.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mr surveyor wrote:I often make several different powder loads to range test and put them into the same box in batches of 5-10. I just hit the primers with a different color of magic marker and log the color to the load data records.

Other than that, if you're making full boxes of a specific load, it's just a matter of either taping to or inserting into the full box a standardized load data card.
:iagree:

Thanks for typing that out, cause that is exactly what I do.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Pretty close to my method :)

I commandeer my daughter's fingernail polish collection and dab a bit on the rim when I'm load testing. That girl has more colors in her case than I thought were possible.

edit: I need to get an order in and try some of these green bullets. My current box of cast .44 is almost empty.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I didn't get to make it to the range during the week (when it's not so crazy), but today I did get to run out to a buddy's place where he has a bench set up for 25 yard shots. Mainly I wanted to try the 18.5 gr of A2400 loads with the new purty green 240 gr lswc's (above pic). In the Rossi rifle, they were just as smokless and left just as little residue in the barrel as I've come to see in my previous experiences with the .38/.357 and .45 acp boolits. Dropping the load down a full grain of powder from what I normally shoot in the Super Red Hawk made the little Rossi (with that nasty shaped excuse for a buttplate) a pleasure to shoot. I'll probably get a chance to meet up with someone with a chrony next week and see what some of my various loads do, but this load - with this boolit- is what I think I wil adopt. The eight rounds shot today off of a shaky saw horse (his bench) from a folding lawn chair were all grouping inside about an inch, and unbelievably hitting poa. I'm really anxious to try this load at 50 and 100 off a real bench with the rifle, and see how it does with the SRH.

I guess I'm a "greenie" now for sure.

SamBodie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SamBodie »

I managed to get an evaluation pack of the 158 GR SWC to try in my 686 from Mr. Donnie. I loaded them ahead of a healthy dose of 2400 and was completely happy with the results. As others have said very little smoke and no leading, I just ran a dry patch through the bore and it looks un-fired. I can't wait for the current hording craze to subside so I can load up more of these. :clapping:

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

SamBodie wrote:I managed to get an evaluation pack of the 158 GR SWC to try in my 686 from Mr. Donnie. I loaded them ahead of a healthy dose of 2400 and was completely happy with the results. As others have said very little smoke and no leading, I just ran a dry patch through the bore and it looks un-fired. I can't wait for the current hording craze to subside so I can load up more of these. :clapping:

"healthy dose"? Care to share?

I'll be loading up some of the 158 gr lswc's next week. I've been loading regular "commercial" lswc's with around 13.2-13.5 gr of 2400 for use in a 3" SP101, and have had minor leading, but no serious issues. For that relatively small revolver the load is just slightly snappy, and chrono's 1080+/- from the 3 inch barrel. I'm figuring on 14 gr of 2400 might be a good standard charge for all around purposes with the Bayou Bullets.

So, what's your start point?

surv

SamBodie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SamBodie »

mr surveyor wrote:
SamBodie wrote:I managed to get an evaluation pack of the 158 GR SWC to try in my 686 from Mr. Donnie. I loaded them ahead of a healthy dose of 2400 and was completely happy with the results. As others have said very little smoke and no leading, I just ran a dry patch through the bore and it looks un-fired. I can't wait for the current hording craze to subside so I can load up more of these. :clapping:

"healthy dose"? Care to share?

I'll be loading up some of the 158 gr lswc's next week. I've been loading regular "commercial" lswc's with around 13.2-13.5 gr of 2400 for use in a 3" SP101, and have had minor leading, but no serious issues. For that relatively small revolver the load is just slightly snappy, and chrono's 1080+/- from the 3 inch barrel. I'm figuring on 14 gr of 2400 might be a good standard charge for all around purposes with the Bayou Bullets.

So, what's your start point?

surv

I started with 13.8 Gr. 2400 - easy extraction and very accurate.

Sam

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

13.8 sounds good. I was planning to make some test batches in 13.5 and 14.0, so the 13.8 would be just about the middle of my personal load range.

jollyman

Post by jollyman »

I know this is an old thread but "they got my vote'. I ordered a case of .357's today around noon and got a "order shipped" notice by mid-afternoon. :clapping:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." -- Thomas Jefferson

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Too bad we can't get bullets in many different colors so we could color code our loads.
actually, you can.

I'll dig up some links and post a new topic.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Reloading Forum”