Trying Bayou Bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mjoplin
Posts in topic: 3

Trying Bayou Bullets

Post by mjoplin »

Kept reading great reviews about Donnie's Bayou Bullets and the unique lube/coating and bought some sample packs from him. Started with my favorite mid-range load for .45 LRN bullets with 3.8 gr of Clays, Fed Match Primer, and used nickle plated cases (thought that'd look nice against the dark green...). They passed plunk and cycling tests and will be headed for the range this weekend with my 1911.
Bayou Bullets 45 acp.jpg
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trying Bayou Bullets

Post by lfinsr »

You'll be in good shape if they shoot as good as they look. :tiphat:

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm still loving my Bayou Bullets...just need to order more, and a variety
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

Tried out the first 7 and my 1911 sure seems to like them. No noticeable leading. Bit of a funky smell with Clays powder, not heavy and barely discernable, but smelled a bit like burned circuit board... I'm trying out the SWCs next and placing an order. Definitely like them!
bayou bullets box.jpg
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

mjoplin wrote:Tried out the first 7 and my 1911 sure seems to like them. No noticeable leading. Bit of a funky smell with Clays powder, not heavy and barely discernable, but smelled a bit like burned circuit board... I'm trying out the SWCs next and placing an order. Definitely like them!
bayou bullets box.jpg
Those are just downright purty! :thumbs2:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mjoplin wrote:Tried out the first 7 and my 1911 sure seems to like them. No noticeable leading. Bit of a funky smell with Clays powder, not heavy and barely discernable, but smelled a bit like burned circuit board... I'm trying out the SWCs next and placing an order. Definitely like them!
bayou bullets box.jpg
How was the smoke and was there any residue from the lube/coating in the barrel? I tried another type of bullet with a hard coating and it left no lead in the barrel, but it was virtually impossible to get the lube residue out of the barrel.

I've had a lot of people ask me about these bullets, but I've loaded nothing but jacketed bullets for at least 20 years, so I'm way out of the loop for cast bullets.

Thanks,
Chas.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

since first posting about Bayou Bullets a couple of month ago, I've shot a few hundred of them in .45 acp and .38 spl, and have never changed my delight with them since firing the first few test rounds. I use a lot of Unique powder with cast bullets, and had assumed that most of the "smoke" was due to the often chided Unique. My opinion was apparantly misguided ... the Bayou Bullets result in minimal smoke. As to lube residue, I have never seen any evidence of any in my barrels, but I don't push my cast bullets to max velocities.

Topic author
mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

In shooting the first 7 I don't have much of a statistical sampling, but the barrel was squeaky clean and devoid of lube or lead. Started with a clean gun, shot around 30 or so rounds of 230 FMJ and then finished with the 7 Bayou bullets. Will shoot some higher quantities this weekend, but am very happy with them. No smoke, no residue.
NRA Life Member

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Are these the same bullets some of you use on Monday nights with me at IDPA? Minty smell? Seem to shoot good from the people I see shooting them. but yes they do have a distinct smell...
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I've never noticed any particular odor from them

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Mr. Cotton

I would be glad to send you a few 230 gr RN .45 acp boolits, and/or some of the 138 gr .38/.357 wc's to try out (all I was able to get before the rush)..if you have time to do any loading. I know you are an extremely busy man, but I also know that it may be a long wait for a shipment of Bayou Bullets. Don't know, but Mr. Donnie may still keep enough on hand to ship out the 100 count sample packages, even though he is back ordered pretty heavily (so I've heard).

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mr surveyor wrote:Mr. Cotton

I would be glad to send you a few 230 gr RN .45 acp boolits, and/or some of the 138 gr .38/.357 wc's to try out (all I was able to get before the rush)..if you have time to do any loading. I know you are an extremely busy man, but I also know that it may be a long wait for a shipment of Bayou Bullets. Don't know, but Mr. Donnie may still keep enough on hand to ship out the 100 count sample packages, even though he is back ordered pretty heavily (so I've heard).
Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to take anyone bullets as scarce as they are these days.

Chas.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Last week I finally got around to ordering some 240 gr lswc's for my new .44 mag fettish. Got a new Rossi in 20" barrel last week to compliment the 7.5" SRH I picked up last year and decided it deserved some "proper" boolits. Mr. Donnie boxed up a "starter batch" of 500 for me last Friday, and the Pony Express (actually, normally it's more like Luke the Plow Mule) had them in my PO box today. They look every bit as good as the .38/.357 and .45acp Bayou Bullets I've come to love so much. Unless this Saturday ends up being that infamous day of TEOTWAWKI (not sure I got all them letters right), I'll be loading up a batch or three to try in the SRH and the Rossi. I was shooting mostly .430" 240 gr RimRock lswc's on the first outing with the Rossi and didn't notice "much" leading issues, and that was through a brand new barrel that wasn't seasoned. Supposedly the Rossi .44's are bored pretty consistantly to .429, so .430 boolits should do fine anyway. The Bayou Bullets are sized to .430 and coated with that wonderful dry gator snot lube, so I'm expecting both an increase in velocity, less lube smoke, and most likely better accuracy.

I can't believe I've "gone green".

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mr surveyor wrote:Last week I finally got around to ordering some 240 gr lswc's for my new .44 mag fettish. Got a new Rossi in 20" barrel last week to compliment the 7.5" SRH I picked up last year and decided it deserved some "proper" boolits. Mr. Donnie boxed up a "starter batch" of 500 for me last Friday, and the Pony Express (actually, normally it's more like Luke the Plow Mule) had them in my PO box today. They look every bit as good as the .38/.357 and .45acp Bayou Bullets I've come to love so much. Unless this Saturday ends up being that infamous day of TEOTWAWKI (not sure I got all them letters right), I'll be loading up a batch or three to try in the SRH and the Rossi. I was shooting mostly .430" 240 gr RimRock lswc's on the first outing with the Rossi and didn't notice "much" leading issues, and that was through a brand new barrel that wasn't seasoned. Supposedly the Rossi .44's are bored pretty consistantly to .429, so .430 boolits should do fine anyway. The Bayou Bullets are sized to .430 and coated with that wonderful dry gator snot lube, so I'm expecting both an increase in velocity, less lube smoke, and most likely better accuracy.

I can't believe I've "gone green".
The last I looked they weren't taking new orders. Do you know if that's over, or was he able to fill your order because it wasn't for 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP?

Thanks,
Chas.

Return to “Reloading Forum”