rust prevention

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

rust prevention

Post by ghostrider »

My casting equipment is in the garage (insulated, but not heated or humidity controlled). I've noticed rust forming on some of the cast iron (ladlel, RCBS iron casting pot, edges of Lee furnace).

Any recommendations on a rust preventative?

thanks

~ ghostrider ~
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: rust prevention

Post by MoJo »

Anything that you put on the rusting places will burn off when you cast the next time. Put a light coat of oil or grease on your equipment after use. As far as casting equipment goes, the only thing I'm concerned about is the condition of the cavities of iron molds. A little rust on the other things will prevent or slow future rusting. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Couple of things I do:

I leave bullets in the cavities of my molds when I'm finished. Just mold them and leave them in.

I also leave lead in my Lee Pro 20# pot always. As full as I can. It still rusts around the edges, but not too much I can do or want to do. You can buy new Lee replacement pots if needed cheaply.

Iron molds are wrapped in cotton cloth with a spritz of oil, like Rem oil.

Rust in Texas is gonna happen unless you have the perfect environment. Just do the best you can.

As far a ladles etc.... If you can use stainless? I use a stainless large spoon for removing dross.
The ladle is not used much, so I can sand it when I need it. ( and I hate sanding/cleaning rust )

I know I'm not much help, but rust is here to stay and is hard to deal with without drowning in oil...

Don2

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Here's an idea, store molds, dippers, etc. in an airtight container with some silica gel to keep them dry. A .50 caliber ammo can should be ideal for this. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

HankB

Post by HankB »

I sprayed my mold blocks with silicone and sealed them up in Ziplocs with a sheet of VPI - Vapor Phase Inhibitor - paper I got from Brownell's. The paper emits vapors that prevent rust. Ever buy an S&W handgun? They wrap their guns in VPI paper when shipped.

I also put a partial sheet in each reloading die box.

These are all stored in my garage. (Wish I had a basement. :sad: )

Seems to work so far.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “Reloading Forum”