Reloading 45 ACP using LEE classic turrets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Reloading 45 ACP using LEE classic turrets

Post by Beiruty »

It went frustrating for the first night, then, the next day, I set up the dies correctly and the first 50rds batch was rolled superbly.
The reload was in 2-stages:
1) Decap and factory-size using a single-stage, hand-held LEE press
2) Brass cleaning using Hornady Sonic 2-L Master
3) Hand priming using the LEE safety primer.

Second stage using excellent LEE classic turret.
1) Powder drop using LEE auto-disk and case flaring using LEE powder drop die.
2) Bullet seating to 1.25" COL
3) case factory crimp (light crimp)

Note: PMC bronze box are re-used.

Recipe:

1) Bullet used: Hornady 230gr HAP (action pistol?)
2) Powder: 4.5 grs of IMR 700X
3) Primer: CCI large pistol primer.

Photos:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reloading 45 ACP using LEE classic turrets

Post by Jumping Frog »

Looks nice.

In the middle picture, it is hard to tell, but it looks like the primers may be a touch high -- or they may be fine. Looks can be deceiving.

They should be slightly recessed, about 0.003" below the surface of the case rim. If you run a fingertip across the tops, you should be able to feel an indentation Compare how a tops feel in your ammo versus some sample commercial ammo.

Your seating depth and taper crimp look good!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Jumping Frog wrote:Looks nice.

In the middle picture, it is hard to tell, but it looks like the primers may be a touch high -- or they may be fine. Looks can be deceiving.

They should be slightly recessed, about 0.003" below the surface of the case rim. If you run a fingertip across the tops, you should be able to feel an indentation Compare how a tops feel in your ammo versus some sample commercial ammo.

Your seating depth and taper crimp look good!
The only issue, was that my wife was like :roll: :roll: why bother, you can enjoy shooting and never ever bother with reload.
I said, "That is true for a pistol like 9mm. It is not worth my time to reload." It is true for 45 too. However, once I started on single stage for 30-06 and 223. I got the bug of "reloading" :drool:
Last edited by Beiruty on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:
Beiruty wrote:1) Decap and factory-size using a single-stage, hand-held LEE press
Why not deprime on the turret press? Far easier than a hand-press, no?
The only reason is that I decap before the brass goes to the sonic bath.
I can decap/size and prime on this indexing LEE classic Turret press.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Some hints for Dillon Press.
[youtube][/youtube]
Beiruty,

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I've been reloading 9mm and 38Special however looks like I'm joining the 45ACP club. SIL was given a lot of dies and had two 45ACP so he gave me one.
As to peoples belief that 9mm is not worth reloading, this is not true. Maybe true for FMJ however I save a lot loading JHP.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

kjolly wrote:I've been reloading 9mm and 38Special however looks like I'm joining the 45ACP club. SIL was given a lot of dies and had two 45ACP so he gave me one.
As to peoples belief that 9mm is not worth reloading, this is not true. Maybe true for FMJ however I save a lot loading JHP.
For my cary rd, I stick with factory 124gr +P gold dots.
Beiruty,

Napier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Napier »

Beautiful! That's exactly what I do. But I recommend adding a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Absolutely eliminates any issues getting the bullet seated and crimped properly with the bullet die. Also, it looks like you are mixing headstamps. Sorting them sometimes makes a problem pop up more clearly, like primers not seating deeply enough.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Napier wrote:Beautiful! That's exactly what I do. But I recommend adding a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Absolutely eliminates any issues getting the bullet seated and crimped properly with the bullet die. Also, it looks like you are mixing headstamps. Sorting them sometimes makes a problem pop up more clearly, like primers not seating deeply enough.
Factory crimp is used. I did not bother sorting the brass for 45ACP. You have to do with .223 as military brass have primers crimped.
Beiruty,

Napier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Napier »

Beiruty wrote:
Napier wrote:Beautiful! That's exactly what I do. But I recommend adding a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Absolutely eliminates any issues getting the bullet seated and crimped properly with the bullet die. Also, it looks like you are mixing headstamps. Sorting them sometimes makes a problem pop up more clearly, like primers not seating deeply enough.
Factory crimp is used. I did not bother sorting the brass for 45ACP. You have to do with .223 as military brass have primers crimped.
Sorry, saw only three dies in the pic, and assmed wrongly, but you're decapping and priming off the turret. As to sorting, funny things can happen when you don't. Just a gentle hint.

trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Napier wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Sorry, saw only three dies in the pic, and assmed wrongly, but you're decapping and priming off the turret. As to sorting, funny things can happen when you don't. Just a gentle hint.
I didn't think about sorting brass by headstamp until I read the Lyman manual...glad I saw that. Besides, I'm OCD so I like being able to isolate problems if I need to. And I roll my own using Lee equipment as well....great stuff for the price.

Rifleman55

Post by Rifleman55 »

I have loaded thousands of .45ACP and do not sort by brand, the only thing that I sort out are the ones with small primers. I load on a Dillon SDB using 231 powder and 200gr swc bullets. I shoot USPSA matches so I load to make major.

Return to “Reloading Forum”