Pointers for a newbie.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bubba84
Posts in topic: 1

Pointers for a newbie.

Post by bubba84 »

Im interested in getting into reloading. What's a good setup/system to start out with? Also, any books/material that will guide a rookie through it?

cmtexas

Re: Pointers for a newbie.

Post by cmtexas »

Don't buy anything but a couple of books first. Read them, understand them, and then you can piece together your equipment. Remember that when you start asking people about this brand or that brand, everyone has their opinion. Do your own research, and when you start actually loading ammo, dont take anyone's word for it. Compare several sources of information, and if you stay with reputable and published load data, you minimize the risk of something going wrong.

I started with the Hornady book, and how have a Lyman book.

SPDGG

Post by SPDGG »

^ Good advice on getting reloading data from manuf. books.: Hornady, Speer, Lyman
* Too many people relay on internet recipes, or start high instead of working up loads.

- What are you looking to reload? rifle, pistol, shotgun?
- What is your budget for equipment?

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I am a fan of the KISS method of learning anything but reloading especially. Buy a couple of reloading manuals I like the Lyman book because it's about as close to Reloading 101 there is. A good single stage or turret press makes a wonerful starting tool. Start by batch loading rather than progressive loading. Ask questions, there isn't a dumb question only dumb answers.

I have recommended in the past to beginners a Lee press, Lee dies, Redding powder measure and a RCBS scale (balance not electronic).

Read, ask questions, and seek out an experienced reloader to be your coach. Soon you will be loading great ammo. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Start here: http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloa ... 1440213968
Then, pick up a reloading manual or two: Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Speer, etc. It doesn't really matter which one, but you'll need at least two, anyway.

Watch some videos on YouTube and/or at Ultimate Reloader (who's been recommended to me by some folks: http://ultimatereloader.com

Then decide on what kind of ammo you are going to reload, and in what quantities, and then we can make suggestions about the kind of equipment that will best serve your purposes. There are no wrong answers, by the way, just some strong opinions about red, blue, green and orange!

Welcome to the fun!
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

What everyone said!

I started with an RCBS single stage set-up for pistol and rifle and a MEC 600 Jr. for 12 gauge. Also bought a good quality RCBS balance scale. That was over 35 years ago and I still have that same equipment. I have since added quite a bit including a progressive set-up for pistol, but if you read the books and buy quality stuff in the beginning, it will continue to serve you well. Reloading is not hard, but to do it right and safely, you have to pay attention to detail, and make sure all of your measutrements of powder and case length are correct.

good luck and have fun learning
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Reloading Forum”