So I have this older powder ...

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JR's 12 Valve
Posts in topic: 2

So I have this older powder ...

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

Bought in 2000, haven't cracked the seal till today, and I can't tell if it's good or not.

I know smell test is the go to way, but I can't smell anything ... not just the powder, but my sniffer is broken. The powder looks fine, but the lack of being able to do a smell test is making me reconsider. Is there any shop in DFW or eastern Tx with decent reloading knowledge that will be able to tell me if the powder is ok, or ready to throw away?

It is Accurate 2230-C (Accurate says it's a spherical AA2460 and to use same loads) if that makes any difference.

LivewireBlanco
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So I have this older powder ...

Post by LivewireBlanco »

If it was sealed and stored indoors then it's good. Even in a garage it would still probably be good.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The smell of ether that tells you stick powder is still good, is not in ball powder. If the powder is discolored or has a reddish rusty look then it's bad. I have a couple of jugs of Accurate ball powder that I bought in the 1980s. Still OK and still functions properly. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

I still have some surplus WWII 4895 that is still good and very consistant in performance as in grouping. We bought this stuff bulk back in the 50' for $.50 a pound or so. I had a 30 # drum that we split up with reloading friends. I am loading with a pound can of 4350 right now that still has a price tag of $1.49. The only powder tat I have personally seen go bad was a can of bullseye that had a small hole rusted in the can bottom and moisture had seeped in.

Topic author
JR's 12 Valve
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

I have no desire to reload .223, 30-30, or the other calibers it is recommended for, so I really just want to get rid of it.

I do not however want to sell the powder if it is bad.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I picked it up of JR hands, it was a pleasure to meet this gentleman. A+, highly recommended.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Reloading Forum”