pistol powder bulk

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

pistol powder bulk

Post by powerboatr »

since powder is gettign very pricey for small tubs at the store and non available at online sources for 8 or 5lb tubs,
but rifle powder is plentiful
does anyone have any info or guides if a rifle powder can meet 45acp loads ?
or is the chemistry just to far off to use a small load of rifle powder?
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ddstuder

Re: pistol powder bulk

Post by ddstuder »

Each smokeless powder is different. They are assigned a "Burn Rate".

Pistol powders are on the FAST side of the burn rate chart as most pistols have short barrels. The must propel the projectile quickly and only have a short amount of time to build pressure needed.

Rifle powders are on the SLOW side, since they typically have longer barrels and need the powder to continue burning down the length of the barrel to build more pressure.

For example HP-38 and Unique are FAST and have burn rates of 28, and 31 respectively. Magnum powders such as H-110 burn slower with a burn rate of 62.

In comparison rifles such as 223 Rem use slower powder such as Varget (BR 99) and B-LC2 (BR 102). Magnum rifles use even slower powders such as H-4831 (BR 125).

It is a generally a BAD idea use rifle powder in a handgun load, and vice versa. A few exceptions do exist, such as low power rifle loads with lead projectiles. I have used Unique and 2400 in some 30-30 loads with cast projectiles.

It is a good idea to read several loading books as most of this is explained much better than I can do in a short time!

BE CARFUL! :mad5 :blowup
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

There are pistol loads available using shotgun powders. I'd use a shotgun powder instead of rifle powder. For example, I've loaded/shot an awful lot of .45 ACP with Hodgdon's CLAYS.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

Jumping Frog wrote:There are pistol loads available using shotgun powders. I'd use a shotgun powder instead of rifle powder. For example, I've loaded/shot an awful lot of .45 ACP with Hodgdon's CLAYS.
:iagree:

Too bad those are even harder to find than pistol powders! Have not seen any clays for more than a year!
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thanks
I had to ask, the question in the room.
shot gun powder i had heard about, but was very curious about rifle powder.

i keep a chin up that powder will become available
makes our range time limited at present.
I like to use 100 or more rounds and the stock is getting into my low point of never exceed.

i have primers though :woohoo
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

powerboatr wrote:thanks
I had to ask, the question in the room.
shot gun powder i had heard about, but was very curious about rifle powder.

i keep a chin up that powder will become available
makes our range time limited at present.
I like to use 100 or more rounds and the stock is getting into my low point of never exceed.

i have primers though :woohoo
Have you spoken with Big Guys Shooting Supplies in Pearland?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

Pearland is quite a haul from Quitman! "rlol"

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

I understand brief periods of low inventory for factory loads, but I'm beyond perplexed by the ongoing shortage of handgun powders. Anyone have any knowledge why it's so bad? The percentage of re-loaders is relatively low compared to the general shooting population and preppers even lower. Anyone have any idea why it's so bad?

austinCHL

Post by austinCHL »

TVGuy wrote:I understand brief periods of low inventory for factory loads, but I'm beyond perplexed by the ongoing shortage of handgun powders. Anyone have any knowledge why it's so bad? The percentage of re-loaders is relatively low compared to the general shooting population and preppers even lower. Anyone have any idea why it's so bad?
This is something I can't quite figure out either. I've been looking for W231 for quite a while now. I'm down to about 1.5 pounds (about 1500 rounds worth) and was able to get my hands on some AA No. 5 at the shot show but powders shouldn't be this rare at this point.
I have enough primers to last me through the apocalypse but the lack of powder is going to turn my handguns into rocks.

-austinCHL

Hamourkiller

Post by Hamourkiller »

I think every one who reloads should take stock of this current shortage. Develop a plan on what type of powders to keep well supplied with.

With Handguns my 3 powders would be:
1- Bullseye (or WW 231) Works in almost all handguns.
2- Unique (or Herco) these are good for shotguns and cast bullet loads in rifles.
3- 2400 (I choose 2400 over H-110 because you can load magnums down with it to Unique velocity levels and works in rifle cast bullet loads)

Rifles
1- IMR-4064 ( Will work in rifles from 223 / 30-30 / 243 / 30-06 / 300 Win Mag and too many others to list) Of course other medium burners will do just as well but this one works for me.

2- IMR 4350 or 4831 Which ever you find cheapest go with it.

These 5 powders will allow you maximum flexibility in keeping you guns running.

The following figures help with primer and bullet balancing with powder

8LB powder = 56000 grains

8 LB Bullseye / 3grs = 18,666 38 special loads. Keep 20,000 pistol primers for every 8LB jug
8LB Unique / 6grs = 9, 333 .45ACP loads. Keep 10,000 LP Primers per 8LB Jug.
8LB 2400 / 15grs = 3,733 .357 mag loads Keep 5,000 Pistol Primers per jug.

As you can see pistol powder goes a long ways compared to the number of primers required to load an 8 LB jug.

Rifle powders are different you will only get around a 1,000 loads per 8 LB jug, so 5,000 rifle primers requires 5 jugs of powder. Much more difficult to stock up powder for extended shortages.

Take care

Hank

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I am slowly getting into reloading, and by that I mean getting bits at a time until i can get decent powder that I can get on a routine basis (loading for accuracy not cost). I agree completely with the poster.

I'm a bit surprised though. It seems only .22lr is still shortagey, why is powder so hard to come by?

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

our walmart yesterday received a HUGE shipment of 45, 9m and 38 ammo, along with a bunch of 30.06 and 270
i had a bird call me and let me know it was there, they had NO limit and I filled the cart with all I could.
they received another this morning...maybe they are stocking up for hunting license renewals next month
this should hold me till powder trickles in
a friend works at place that sells reloads and he is able to get powder now pretty regularly
I would buy it there, but the mark up is waaaay off base

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I am down to five pounds. Brings me great sorrow.

Return to “Reloading Forum”