Noob questions about bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Noob questions about bullets

Post by sjfcontrol »

I'm just starting reloading, and have a couple of questions regarding bullets from different manufactures.

First, FMJ v. TMJ. Should a 9mm, 115 grain full-metal-jacket have the same powder load as a the same bullet from a different manufacturer that is total-metal-jacket. I know the difference is whether the base of the bullet is jacketed. But would they perform differently requiring different loads?

From "The Complete Reloading Manual for the 9mm Luger", I see Sierra #8115 .355" 115g FMJ using AA-No. 7 powder takes loads from 7.0-8.6g.
Speer #3995 9mm TMJ RN using AA-No 7 takes 8.6-9.6C. Those ranges don't even overlap.

I have a package of 100 Remington 9mm 115g FJM (exposed base) bullets. Trying to figure out which powder (and load) makes sense. None of my references lists Remington bullets specifically.
(The manual mentioned above, the Speer reloading manual #14, and the Hornady manual 8th edition.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Noob questions about bullets

Post by DocV »

It does get confusing ;) Those differing numbers are a good reason why it is important to always check multiple multiple sources and work loads up. To add to the confusion, your "Complete Reloading Manual" contains data from Accurate on or about page 40. The manual that I have suggests a starting load of 7.9 and a maximum load of 8.8 for #7 under an Hornady FMJ 115 grain with an OAL of 1.095.

But, let us check one more source, Accurate's online reloading data currently located here:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
and which, in turn, points us here:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conten ... -23-14.pdf
On page 6 of this resource, #7 is listed for a 115 FMJ Sierra with a start of 6.7 and max of 7.8 and an OAL of 1.100.

If we follow the second reference located on:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
We find a +P load data page is located on:
http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-conte ... -28-14.pdf
On the last page of that reference we see a starting load of 7.8 and a max of 8.5 and an OAL of 1.100.

Based on all of this, I would toss caution to the wind and start at 6.7 grains of #7 and work up in .2 (or .1) increments to 7.8 stopping at the lowest load that gave me the best accuracy without warning signs of pressure problems.

I am not one for +P loads but 9mm cases should work OK with +P load data, according to what I read on the Star Line brass page, Experience, OTOH, tells me at least one of my 9mms (a 1911 government), shows a bit of case expansion (guppying) with some powders even when using the low-end of the load data. Consequently, I avoid reloading 9mm with that powder.

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lfinsr »

There is no answer to the problem of conflicting information. I encountered the same thing and had the same concerns when I started. My solution is to buy all of the loading manuals I can find and along with the online data try to come to a consensus. Then start from the bottom and carefully work up checking for signs of overpressure.

All of my reloads are for range use and I haven't spent much time looking for a sweet spot on anything I've done but if you're looking for accuracy this is a must.

Essentially the same thing DocV said but shorter...

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Thanks for the responses.

Let's break this down.

The first question is, given the same weight and caliber bullet, Is there a performance difference between FMJ and TMJ that would justify different loads?

Second, given the same weight, caliber, and style bullet from different manufacturers, is there a performance difference that would justify different loads.

I'm trying to figure out if "minor" differences in bullets (FMJ/TMJ or manufacturer) require specific tables to be found.

Thanks again.
Never Forget. Image

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

sjfcontrol wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Let's break this down.

The first question is, given the same weight and caliber bullet, Is there a performance difference between FMJ and TMJ that would justify different loads?
Nope. Although I feel presidential and want to say "That depends on the meaning of the word 'is'" ;-)
sjfcontrol wrote: Second, given the same weight, caliber, and style bullet from different manufacturers, is there a performance difference that would justify different loads.
There are minor variances that can change the load but not to the point that most casual shooters will notice. For example, different lead alloys for lead bullets have different hardness and will require adjustments to the load. Different jacket materials may also change the load. You still use the same table and start at the bottom of the load data and work up.
sjfcontrol wrote: I'm trying to figure out if "minor" differences in bullets (FMJ/TMJ or manufacturer) require specific tables to be found.
Use the same table for TMJ and FMJ of the same weight and profile.
sjfcontrol wrote:Thanks again.
Ya done good when you noticed load data in the tables did not overlap.
You will have your own set of favorite loads in no time.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

OK -- I've now acquired a bottle of Titegroup powder.

In the complete reloading manual, for Sierra bullets 9mm 115g FMJ-RN using Titegroup I see loads from 3.7 to 4.5 COAL 1.100

In the Speer manual (which I presume are all Speer bullets), for 9mm 115g TMJ-RN using Titegroup I see loads from 4.1 to 4.5 COAL 1.135

So I'm thinking a starting load of 4.1 and perhaps a COAL of 1.115?

Does that make sense? (Remember, my bullets are Remington.)

None of my other manuals lists Titegroup for 115g FMJ. And I tried the online Hodgdon data and only got GDHP and LRN bullet types.
Never Forget. Image

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ammoboy2 »

Your 4.1 should be a rather good moderate starting load.

My standard 9mm is a 115 gr Berry (plated bullet) with 4.5 gr.Titegroup and achieves 1160 fps from a G17.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well, I've now loaded, and fired, a progressive set of rounds

Remington 115grn bullet
CCI-500 primer
1.135 COAL
Titegroup powder

10 rounds @ 4.1 grns
10 rounds @ 4.3 grns
10 rounds @ 4.5 grns

All rounds fired -- gun still has same number of parts as before shooting! :woohoo So I guess from that perspective, it was a raging success!

Can't say I noticed much difference between the loads. Don't have a chronograph, so can't say much about velocity. Seemed to shoot low-left but that was probably me.
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Reloading Forum”