Loading copper plated Bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Loading copper plated Bullets

Post by ET-Ret »

Does any one use copper plated bullets sized for 9mm (0.355) in a 38 sp at moderately vel.
I need to teach some grandchildren how to shoot and can make up 38 sp reloads very reasonable. When the weather cools of a little more I can
cast all of the projectiles I need. The Lyman book of cast bullets show .356 molds but seem to imply they are sized to .357. My cast bullets from last winter are smaller
than that. .356 for molds labeled 356. I have a good quanity of 115 FMP Round nose they are like the other plated bullets but a little cheaper. I have shot some in a Rossi 38 with a 2" barrel
and they just seem to be just another lite load. they are running about (.355)

Any comments would be appericated. ET

Don2

Re: Loading copper plated Bullets

Post by Don2 »

ET-Ret wrote:Does any one use copper plated bullets sized for 9mm (0.355) in a 38 sp at moderately vel.
I need to teach some grandchildren how to shoot and can make up 38 sp reloads very reasonable. When the weather cools of a little more I can
cast all of the projectiles I need. The Lyman book of cast bullets show .356 molds but seem to imply they are sized to .357. My cast bullets from last winter are smaller
than that. .356 for molds labeled 356. I have a good quanity of 115 FMP Round nose they are like the other plated bullets but a little cheaper. I have shot some in a Rossi 38 with a 2" barrel
and they just seem to be just another lite load. they are running about (.355)

Any comments would be appericated. ET
I've done it when needed with low to moderate load data.
Worse case is you may get some leading if it strips the plating off and depending on your bore size. The bullet just doesn't obdurate well.
I also have used just lead bullets. ( all worked without problems) But I did not shoot that many, maybe 30??

I've done a some casting this summer of what was NEEDED, but waiting for cooler weather myself to make a bunch more. Last bunch was 725 150gn .358 SWC's for my pistols. ( I almost melted myself) :mrgreen:
Don2

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

I used some Berry's to load 50 rounds of .357. I don't remember exact details but it was a light load close to the bottom end of the powder recommendations to keep muzzle velocity down. The only reason they weren't .38 is because I had no empty cases and at the height of the ammo shortage there were none to be found. Anyway, I had nothing but problems with the plating coming off to the point it prevented the cylinder from closing. I stopped shooting them, pulled the remaining bullets to save the powder and threw the remaining 50 in the trash.

I've seen lots of people recommend Berry's and use them with good luck. That was not the experience I had. YMMV

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I shoot plated in the bottom feeders, but won't consider them in my revolvers
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “Reloading Forum”