help-static cling in powder drop!

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Re: help-static cling in powder drop!

Post by PBratton »

If the dryer sheets didn't do it for you, I guess you could always ground your press...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

What powder weight are you trying to drop, and thus what size hole are you talking about?

I've known people who ran a lb. of powder through their powder measure to address static issues, and then the powder seemed to flow much better.

If you are talking 115 gr bullets and powder in the 6.x grain range, the corresponding charge hole should be large enough to handle without powder bridging problems.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

How much powder have you run thru the drop? The powder is coated with graphite, and I've seen it recommended that you run a pound or so of powder thru it to coat the inside of the device with graphite. That should help with static. You can also buy a bottle of graphite, and flood the drop directly.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I had the same problem, wash it in warm, soapy water and dry it with a rag. Then use the dryer sheet to wipe it down, that worked for me.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Get some powdered graphite that's used for lock lubrication and dust the holes in your powder discs. That works 99% of the time and is faster than running a pound of powder through your measure to achieve the same results. Remember, with graphite, like Brylcreem "a little dab will do ya." :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Pawpaw40

Post by Pawpaw40 »

Keep a dryer sheet in your powder measure when not in use. Wipe it around inside and out on the plastic part of your powder measure before putting any powder in it. It solved the static cling problems with my powder measures.

Feed&Guns

Post by Feed&Guns »

dedeye wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:What powder weight are you trying to drop, and thus what size hole are you talking about?

I've known people who ran a lb. of powder through their powder measure to address static issues, and then the powder seemed to flow much better.

If you are talking 115 gr bullets and powder in the 6.x grain range, the corresponding charge hole should be large enough to handle without powder bridging problems.

You guessed it. 115g bullet shooting for PD of 5.8 and it varies 5.1 to 6.1
Stop the press! :)

I'm guessing you have one of two issues, only because I had a very similar problem. I have a Hornady LNL AP. After extensive research, I finally started pressing out rounds. I'm loading WSF for 124gr 9mm. Recommended charge: 4.0 to 4.7. My throws were between 4.0 to 4.6 with no adjustments. Just as I was about to call Hornady and politely tell them how bad this machine is, I watched some videos and found that I forgot to put in the small powder rotor. So, first thing:

Make sure you are using the small powder rotor and not the large one. This brought my precision from 0.6gr to 0.1gr.

During this process, however, I was also using a Hornady 1500 I think for a scale. I zeroed the scale, turned off the a/c, etc. Turns out the scale wasn't returning to zero. It could jump by as much as 0.4gr. When your whole range is only 0.7gr, I didn't want to load what I thought was 4.6gr and have it really be 5.0! I am convinced that those cheapy gem scales like the Hornady (and others) are worth what you paid for them. For something as critical as weighing pistol powder, I wouldn't take the chance. So I bought a GemPro250. It weighs to 0.02gr precision. And, it seemed to always weigh consistently. Every time I'd weigh an empty case, then weigh a loaded case, then empty the powder and reweigh the case, it came back to the same zero. Very nice. Not cheap, but good investment. So the next thing is:

Buy a proper scale.

Hope this helps!
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Texas Certified CHL/LTC Instructor
FFL 01 SOT 3 - www.aparmory.net

Return to “Reloading Forum”