Why reload?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Why reload?

Post by E.Marquez »

Yes I asked..... that question in the reloading forum. Yes I did some searching here and other forums... I got "some" answers, but mostly form folks I've never Intermet (yes I made that word up) So I'd like to hear YOUR opinions,,,,, as I value them based on what I read from you on this site.

Is it economical (disregard time, I realize it is a commodity that has value, but for this discussion Im not concerned with time as a value)
Does one need to shoot a 1000 rds a week to make it economical?
While I might enjoy working up "custom" loads for a particular gun, that is an aside for me.. I have no exotic chamber'ings at this time.. a few pricey ones like .338 WIN MAG but nothing that can not be bought at academy on a good day. So Im generally looking to load target loads in 9mm, .40, .45 cal., .357, .380, Maybe shot gun, maybe rifle in .338 WIN MAG, .357 (its a carbine so, same rounds as pistol, but can hotter loads be worked up for a rifle in this cal?), .223, 308, 30-06, 45-70

I accept that the buy in is large to do it right....and that ROI is a long ways off due to that.. Im ok with that, it's not an issue.

Am I looking at three complete set ups to load shot gun, pistol and rifle? Or is there a progressive that will do both pistol and rifle?

Likely I would start with just 9mm, .45, .380.. Than add other pistol calibers, then rifle, and last shot gun.
Will a progressive in the hands of a newbie to rank amateur build sufficient repeatable quality for target shoot and defensive hand gunning range?

Thank you very much for your time.

Erik
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why reload?

Post by chuck j »

I'm probably the least qualified to attempt an answer to your question but I'll try . I reload because it's just one more aspect of having and enjoying whatever you choose to do with any firearm by producing the ammo to do it with . Special loads for specific guns or just generic rounds for economy and plinking . Reloading is a totally separate hobby , if you like to read loading info/manuals , ask questions and experiment it is much like science and fun to figure things out .

You can start cheap or spend as much as you want to . I started with a Dillon 550 progressive which was a great press , bought the 550b when they came out not long ago and plan on never buying another , the 550b more that makes me happy , does pistol and rifle . Part of the fun getting into loading is picking out your equipment and setting it up .

Another aspect of loading is whether to buy or cast your own bullets . Casting is a another totally separate aspect should you choose to 'make your own' , if you choose to buy them then thats fine too . I buy and smelt wheel weights , at times adding hardening agents or tin for different applications or to save money . To me it's entertainment but to someone else it would be just dirty work .

Yes as a rule you can save money making your own if you don't charge for your time and labor . How much you could save would depend on too many factors to detail here .

If you like tools , working with your hands , measuring , weighing , figuring , researching it could be something you would enjoy . There are several reloading forums to check out , Castboolets forum is the best for asking questions on specifics in my opinion .

Had to edit my post ; You can load pistol and rifle on one press but shotgun must be done on one specially made for shotgun .

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

If I load 230 grain FMJ RN 45 ACP using all new components including brass, my break even point is around 41 cents per round. This assumes I am using 5 grains of Bullseye per round. New Starline brass and Montana Gold 230 grain FMJ . I get primers for around $32 per thousand, a pound of powder for around $20, and spend around $170 and $195 on brass and projectiles respectively.

Realistically, I get more than one use for each case. Given my ability to lose brass, a more realistic estimate is 8 reloads per case before the case makes it into the hands of some other shooter. Still, increasing the number of case uses, reduces my cost to around 26 cents per round for 230 grain FMJ.

However, I seldom actually load 230 FMJ. Instead, I go for more 'exotic' profiles such as a Oregon Trail 200 grain SWC that goes for around $128 per thousand or a Berry's 180 grain Hollow Base Round Nose that goes for around $140 per thousand. I can load those component combinations for around 20 cents per round. These combinations are not something that one can find through commercial outlets. The art of manufacturing, customizing and tweaking one's own ammunition is the part about reloading that I find to be most satisfying and rewarding.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Thanks guys, please, keep going Im listening, learning, thinking.

Note: Yes I know the shotgun is a separate deal ...and it will be my last to consider, I just don't shoot THAT much 12 gauge.

If a GOOD progressive will do rifle and pistol cals.,, then that is what I'll start with.
Im not afraid to spend what is needed...I'd prefer to buy better/ best and grow into it, vice low entry beginner stuff I have to off load and upgrade.

Im ok buying middle to upper grade things like a electronic scale vice a simple manual one.. Both do the same task, but one is faster, more repeatable. so worth the money to me.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

For me, handloading is a hobby where I derive intrinsic enjoyment from creating my own ammunition.

I think many people start handloading because it is all about "how much can I save". But if you don't enjoy the process, then the savings cannot make it worth doing something you dislike. Personally, I enjoy creating the ammo almost as much as shooting it.

If I didn't get satisfaction from the results, I would not spend the time to take photos and post them in forums. :thumbs2:

As far as buying good tools that last, I completely agree with the sentiment. However, leave digital scales out of the equation. They are notorious for zero drift and inaccuracy. A good quality balance beam scale is both more reliable and more accurate. Personally, I prefer the Redding #2 Master Magnetic Powder Scale 505 Grain Capacity, as I find it superior to the more common RCBS scale.

-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I would not be able to afford to shoot some of my calibers if I did not reload and I now have enough supplies to get me through a couple years of ammo shortages if need be. 500 S&W and 458 SOCOM are quite expensive - even shooting my Sig716 with any frequency could get expensive. I started off loading for 45 ACP, the only caliber I shot at the time. Several years ago I could go to PSC and pick up all the brass I wanted and I did. Due to that I used to be able to load a box of 45 ACP for $5. I have accumulated enough components to last me for a while, the initial cost is high but I really could go a couple years without buying more if need be (somehow that never happens though, it is hard to pass up stuff I can use). I would either do a lot of learning via videos/books or find someone to learn from that has been handloading for a while. I am sure some people started off with progressive presses but I am glad I learned on a single stage Rock Chucker. It allowed me to go slow enough to not make any major mistakes (and you will make mistakes).

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

I was talked out of going with a progressive when I first started. I wish I had not listened. Although I do like my Rock Chucker for load development, I am toying with the idea of buying a Dillon 550B. I do shoot enough volume to justify a progressive. I also think a mature, careful, and patient individual can start with a progressive without having to step-up from a turret or single stage.

On the other hand, I have adapted to a single stage by loading batches of rounds in several phases. For example, I have 300 rounds of 45 ACP primed and expanded for some JHP. It will take me an hour or so to charge and seat projectiles in those 300 cases. So much of my single stage reloading cycle is in the preparation. I wonder if progressive loaders face different prep 'chores' such as preparing primer-tubes and case and projective feeds(?) depending on the complexity of their setups.

I prefer a good beam scale to a digital scale. I have both, and find myself trusting the beam more than the digital. (That said, I did a short stint as a chemistry major back in the pre-digital era. I am experientially biased.) I find that I do not have to weigh every load as my powder measure drops consistent charges as long as I am diligent with visual checking and good quality control sampling.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I do not reload low cost plinking ammo like 9mm. It is so cheap and available that it is not worth it.
I do load 45 ACP, it is almost 2X than the 9mm.
I do load 223/5.56 for my semi-autos, especially using 68grs and 75grs (and some 55gr)
I do load for precision LR rifle shooting, in 30-06 and 300 WM
I started with LEE hand press and LEE turret press. Both are doing excellent job. I do not see my self loading 400-500 rds pistol ammo a week.

If you shoot mostly pistols and you go to pistol competition matches, then your only choice is a good progressive press from Dillion or Hornady.

For precision rifle shooting, case prep tools AND single stage (or a turret press) are all what you need. Note, that perfecting consistent ammo for rifle is the goal.

Finally never underestimate the cost of the loading tools and gauges you need for reloading. To recover your investment, you either have to shoot a lot of pistol ammo, or a lot of expensive match ammo, or both.

In addition, for precision there are 2X time for case prep than just dispensing powder, bullet seating (and the optional crimp).
Last edited by Beiruty on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I like to reload for a number of reasons, cost not being one. I like the therapeutic factor, I like load development, and I also like to load a little more consistent ammo than the factory. I also like being able to suddenly crank out a large quantity of handgun ammo if I want. I run a RCBS Rock Chucker, a Hornady LnL Progressive, and a Lee Pro 1000. The Lee is gonna go, the priming system on it is a nightmare. The Hornady is my preferred press for most handgun ammo, the RCBS is my preferred press for magnum handgun and rifle ammo.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Shotguns have their own press and it is totally different from metal cases round reloads.
Turret and progressive can do pistol and rifle (for long magnum cartridges you may need to check it out before you commit)
Precision shooter prefer single stage press since they usually load less than 100rd per session. And, they would like to focus on details to have virtually perfect loads.
Beiruty,

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Im thinking Rock Chucker for rifle
Dillion 550B for pistol
Skipping shotgun for now unless I really step up my shotgun use

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I don't expect that everyone can or want to do this, but... Many years ago I bought a single stage press at a garage sale for $10. Each set of dies is an average of $35. Scale was somewhere around $60. I wash my brass in hot water, vinegar, and dish soap after de-priming.
I don't shoot an awful lot, so my set up is more than adequate. I'll prime 50 cases, then as I have time or feel like it, I load the powder and bullets, weighing each powder load. Another night I'll go back and crimp each one. If I do fifty rounds in a week that's great. If not , Oh well. It gets me out of the house and I'll sit in there loading while listening to my ham radios, scanners, and/or station on ancient shortwave receiver. I'm relaxed and enjoying the whole thing.
Is it cheaper than commercial ammo? A little. Is it more efficient? No. I know that I won't buy very much commercial 44 ammo because of the price, but I can load a few at a time and the cost isn't so noticeable. :cool:
N5PNZ

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

E.Marquez wrote:Im thinking Rock Chucker for rifle
Dillion 550B for pistol
Skipping shotgun for now unless I really step up my shotgun use
Sounds like a good plan, you could use the 550 for rifle and pistol though and just pay attention while learning. I have no regrets starting out with a Rock Chucker. At the time it was all I could afford (actually it was free but I had to buy the scale, dies etc.). I have a Redding T-7 which I use for all my rifle loading. I have a cheapo Lee Classic Turret that I use for pistol and although I hate the plastic pieces Lee uses it works well for the price (I actually bought it used so I got it for next to nothing). I normally do not load more than 200 rounds at a time so what I have works well, in the future I may add a Dillon 550 to the mix if I step up my pistol shooting but due to limited time I have to shoot I doubt that will happen.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Note, for those who load for precision rifle shooting, the joyment and the feel of achievement and being proud is priceless.
Especially, when you hit headshots at 500 yrds. :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Beiruty,

Return to “Reloading Forum”