7.62 to .308?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

7.62 to .308?

Post by PBratton »

So, I am working up loads for my .308 and have come across several, (1000) pieces of 7.62 brass.

Can they be re-sized to .308?

Would I be nuts for doing so? (discounting the fact, of course, that I may already be nuts...)
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Excaliber

Re: 7.62 to .308?

Post by Excaliber »

A somewhat technical discussion that may help if the brass you found is 7.62 x 51 and not x 54 or some other case length can be found here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

wiz1997

Post by wiz1997 »

Sizing with the .308 is your only option. A 7.62 die does not exist in the US ( maybe in Europe). If you do the math they are one in the same.
If loading for a bolt action the neck sizing die or the full sizing die may be all you need. If loading for a semi auto you may need a small base die. Are the 7.62 cases once fired? If so they are often fired out of a full auto and the brass expands. Drop one into your rifles chamber, does it go all the way in? If it does turn the rifle so that it falls out on its own? If it doesn't go all the way in the cases are expanded. If you close the bolt on a case that has not dropped all the way in you may have trouble getting it out!!!! This is where the small base die is required. A set of caliper type micrometers is a must for reloading. Get a good book on reloading, any of these: Sierra, Hornaday, Speer, there are others. Stick to the load data in any of those until you are confident in how well you reload, then make adjustments to loads that work best in your rifle. Avoid some of the loads you may see in other forums, some of those guys are pushing the limits.
I load for an M1A Scout semi auto and a Ruger Gunsite Scout bolt action. I have reloaded .308 both commercial and military brass and 7.62 military brass. (French, Bulgarian, Australian). I've been reloading for just a few years and still learning.
Remember, it is your rifle, your eyes, your fingers, your life and the life of others around you at the range that will be effected, so use and follow all the safety procedures. Happy shooting.

Surgeon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Surgeon »

I'm new here but I'll add my experience. I have a bolt action surplus Israeli Mauser that was re-chambered in 7.62x51. Basically a .308 round. And it fires and cycles the 7.62 marked surplus ammo perfectly. But, when I chambered a commercial .308 ammo round and fired it, I had a devil of a time trying to open the bolt to eject the spent shell. Conclusion: The pressure from the commercial .308 round expanded the case and wedged it tightly in the breach whereas the 7.62 NATO gave me no problems. The wall thickness of the NATO ammo was well suited for this particular rifle whereas the commercial ammo.....not so much. I have reloaded the 7.62 and the only problems I have encountered is with the cheaper Aguila brand ammo. For some reason the primers tend to seat a tad lower in the primer hole and I've had a few misfires. So I don't use them any more. I have reloaded .308 spent brass at the recommended specs for 7.62 NATO and have had zero problems...........so far. The .308 die and set up works just fine. Hope that helps.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Surgeon wrote:I'm new here but I'll add my experience. I have a bolt action surplus Israeli Mauser that was re-chambered in 7.62x51. Basically a .308 round. And it fires and cycles the 7.62 marked surplus ammo perfectly. But, when I chambered a commercial .308 ammo round and fired it, I had a devil of a time trying to open the bolt to eject the spent shell. Conclusion: The pressure from the commercial .308 round expanded the case and wedged it tightly in the breach whereas the 7.62 NATO gave me no problems. The wall thickness of the NATO ammo was well suited for this particular rifle whereas the commercial ammo.....not so much. I have reloaded the 7.62 and the only problems I have encountered is with the cheaper Aguila brand ammo. For some reason the primers tend to seat a tad lower in the primer hole and I've had a few misfires. So I don't use them any more. I have reloaded .308 spent brass at the recommended specs for 7.62 NATO and have had zero problems...........so far. The .308 die and set up works just fine. Hope that helps.
Be careful shooting 308 in a 7.62x51. The 308 is a higher pressure round, same as M1 and 30.06.

Surgeon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Surgeon »

MeMelYup wrote:
Surgeon wrote:I'm new here but I'll add my experience. I have a bolt action surplus Israeli Mauser that was re-chambered in 7.62x51. Basically a .308 round. And it fires and cycles the 7.62 marked surplus ammo perfectly. But, when I chambered a commercial .308 ammo round and fired it, I had a devil of a time trying to open the bolt to eject the spent shell. Conclusion: The pressure from the commercial .308 round expanded the case and wedged it tightly in the breach whereas the 7.62 NATO gave me no problems. The wall thickness of the NATO ammo was well suited for this particular rifle whereas the commercial ammo.....not so much. I have reloaded the 7.62 and the only problems I have encountered is with the cheaper Aguila brand ammo. For some reason the primers tend to seat a tad lower in the primer hole and I've had a few misfires. So I don't use them any more. I have reloaded .308 spent brass at the recommended specs for 7.62 NATO and have had zero problems...........so far. The .308 die and set up works just fine. Hope that helps.
Be careful shooting 308 in a 7.62x51. The 308 is a higher pressure round, same as M1 and 30.06.
Yes, I had to do considerable research on the Mauser and the differences between .308 & the 7.62 NATO and the wasn't a lot of information to be found. Like I mentioned, I ran one round of .308 through it and could barely open the bolt because the the case expansion from the higher pressures. My Remington .308 will eat either round safely. Live and learn, and if I live long enough, I'll be a genius at some point.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Return to “Reloading Forum”