Chronograph suggestions wanted

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

trashysquid
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Chronograph suggestions wanted

Post by trashysquid »

mikejarhead wrote:I have been reloading for about 5 years and have never used a chronograph. I usually stayed in the middle of the reloading data to be safe.
Now that i have started reloading for the 300 blackout i need to know the velocity so i can load some subsonic ammo.
I have been looking on midway's website and there are plenty to choose from in my budget(around $100).
I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Mike C.
I've been using the Caldwell Chrono found here for some time now. The reason why I chose this kit is because it uses an app on your phone to display the ballistic info you are looking for. The tripod that comes with kit is flimsy, though, so plan on getting one that's more sturdy. But if you don't want the kit, just buying the chrono is worth it because of the app's functionality. The app even has a feature that allows you to save any pictures you take of groups that you shot as part of your load work ups, and to save them into that recipe's file on the app....a super handy feature.

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

trashysquid wrote:
mikejarhead wrote:I have been reloading for about 5 years and have never used a chronograph. I usually stayed in the middle of the reloading data to be safe.
Now that i have started reloading for the 300 blackout i need to know the velocity so i can load some subsonic ammo.
I have been looking on midway's website and there are plenty to choose from in my budget(around $100).
I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Mike C.
I've been using the Caldwell Chrono found here for some time now. The reason why I chose this kit is because it uses an app on your phone to display the ballistic info you are looking for. The tripod that comes with kit is flimsy, though, so plan on getting one that's more sturdy. But if you don't want the kit, just buying the chrono is worth it because of the app's functionality. The app even has a feature that allows you to save any pictures you take of groups that you shot as part of your load work ups, and to save them into that recipe's file on the app....a super handy feature.
Apple IoS or Android app ?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

trashysquid
Posts in topic: 2

Post by trashysquid »

mikejarhead wrote:Thanks trashysquid,
Does the app have a place to put in your load data?
Have you used it indoors & outdoors?
Has your unit been reliable?

Thanks,
Mike C.
Yes, the app has a place to save powder, bullet weight, primer, etc., and has note spaces to save any more notes you may want. I know the app is available for Android, and I'm pretty sure it's available for iOS. It's a free to download now if you want to check it out...just search for Caldwell in either store.

I've only used it outdoors in both cloudy and sunny days, and it's performed flawlessly every time I've used it. It has also never failed to give me a reading.

I definitely prefer this over the Chrony machines (same price point you are looking at) because of the ability to use your phone to read, save and store data.

mjoplin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mjoplin »

Another vote for the Caldwell. I got the chrono only and love it! I use the app on an iPhone. Got a lot of people checking it out for the first few range trips. Had a Shooting Chrony Beta before and this one wins hands down in my humble opinion.
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Return to “Reloading Forum”