.45 ACP Primers

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tk1700
Posts in topic: 2

.45 ACP Primers

Post by tk1700 »

I know that .45 ACP cases come with the primer pocket sized for either a small or large pistol primer, but I ran across an unusual situation this morning. I was loading some range brass I have picked up. I've sorted it based on primer size and was using all large primer sized brass. Out of 100 pieces, 4 have a primer pocket too small for a large primer but too big for a small primer. 3 of them are Winchester and 1 is PMC. Other Winchester brass from the same pile primed fine. I cleaned all the primer pockets with a hand reamer and primer pocket cleaning brush before trying to prime them. Anyone else ever run across this?

I've reloaded for 20+ years but this is my first batch of .45. New Springfield on order and need to have some bullets to shoot when it gets here! Thanks.

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .45 ACP Primers

Post by PBR »

They have a crimp in them?
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
tk1700
Posts in topic: 2

Re: .45 ACP Primers

Post by tk1700 »

PBR, Thanks you nailed it! I read your response and had one of those ah ha moments. I've never worked with a military caliber that had a crimp so I didn't even think to look for it. I found another 20 or so with a crimp and after watching a couple of you tube videos, I removed the crimp with a de burring tool and primers slid right in. Thanks again!!

Return to “Reloading Forum”