For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FrugalFannie
Posts in topic: 1

Component Storage in TX

Post by FrugalFannie »

Hey all,

New to TX. Not new to shooting though. Been doing a little reloading when I was in MA and NH. Used to store my components in my house and then in my basement. No basement here though. I was wondering if you guys set your reloading benches up in the house or in your garage and where you store your components. We are renting so we are limited to what we can alter. And I like my house to look like a home, not a factory. I was hoping to utilize some of my garage space to store bullets at least. I'm a little concerned with humidity even though this is much less humid than I'm used to. So, what do you guys do as far as where you reload and where you store components and completed loads?

Thanks.

JohnS-TX

Re: Component Storage in TX

Post by JohnS-TX »

I keep powder, primers, and loaded ammo in an closet inside the house - concerned about the outside heat/cold.

Empty brass and bullets are kept in the garage/attic.

mjoplin

Re: Component Storage in TX

Post by mjoplin »

Welcome to Texas!

Where I used to live on the north side of Houston, in Spring, I had my reloading bench, dies, brass, and bullets out in the garage. I also stored loaded ammo out there in GI surplus cans with a desiccant bag inside each. I kept all powder and primers inside in a temp/humidity controlled environment. Never had any problems except it was really toasty when I needed to reload during the summer. Learned to make large batches during cooler weather!

We recently moved to the coast, much higher humidity and salt water to boot. Thankfully I was able to carve out a small room inside (10x10) for the bench, one safe, loaded rounds and supplies. No problems there.

For the bigger safe bolted down in the garage, I started with desiccant, then damp rid (and about had a conniption when I pulled out the jug full of water), and now have a Peet dryer along with a digital temp/humidity gauge. During the move I had moving boxes of boxed die sets in the garage and several were starting to show signs of very light surface rust. If you are anywhere near salt water, try to keep your reloading setup indoors and in a temp & humidity controlled environment.

This is a good forum with some very knowledgeable members and a great source of advice, although it doesn't seem to be as active as it was a year or so ago. It's good to see a new member and hopefully a bit more discussion.
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Return to “Reloading Forum”