brass

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

brass

Post by Venus Pax »

How do you know when brass is no longer good?
I've thrown out a few that were split, but what are some other indicators?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

SOMEONE in this group should have a BEGINNER'S, Mentally Challenged, SLOW, etc. . . class for those of us who would like to reload, but have no clue where to begin. . . . HINT; HINT :nopity

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeremae »

VP

I toss a 45 acp case if 1. any crack (generally near mouth) 2. any ding/dent that the resize/decap die doesn't iron out 3. it is Win NT or some Speers (id by area between speer headstamp and primer edge) that use small pistol primers instead of large 4. deep nicks in rim.

In almost a year of loading (about 5000 rounds) i've probably thrown away approx 50 damaged cases and I don't know how many win nt/speer cases.

carlson1

Hhhmmm Reloading for Dummies wonder how much of a market?

It might be a good seminar to include at CHLForum day.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

9mm with a "WCC" headstamp gets thrown in the trash quickly. I have wasted more than a few primers on them.

I have also found a few with the primer pocket drilled out quite a bit.....I throw them away.

I also try to throw away anything that appers to have housed more than three generations of spiders :grin:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The closest thing to Reloading for Dummies that I am aware of are the Lyman Reloading Handbooks. The 48th Edition is the most recent I know of. With one of these books and a little time one can teach themselves all the basics of reloading. I have been involved in reloading for 50 years 40 of them loading by my self and I have always had a Lyman Handbook handy. Lots of good info at a reasonable price,
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

carlson1 wrote:SOMEONE in this group should have a BEGINNER'S, Mentally Challenged, SLOW, etc. . . class for those of us who would like to reload, but have no clue where to begin. . . . HINT; HINT :nopity
It's funny you said that, Carlson. When Charles & Marc were talking about a reloading class at PSC, I told them they should have a special ed version for some of us.

I had a lot of concerns regarding my ability to learn how to do this. I was initially referring to the primer as "that dot in the middle." (I have since been educated, and have picked up some of the various terminology.)

I read the ABC's of Reloading. If you want to get into reloading, but don't know a primer from a "dot in the middle," I highly recommend it. I went to Dad's, and got clarification from him, as well as application-based instruction.

He also had to come over and help me with that awful Lee Safety Scale. That particular item would make a preacher cuss.

I still know very little compared to people here, but know just enough to load the .45s on my Lee set-up.
(I would like to replace that Lee Safety Scale with something a bit easier to use, like an RCBS 1010. This scale, however, costs more than my entire Lee set-up. :roll: )

MoJo, it seems I've heard others singing the praises of the Lyman handbook. I may pick one up and read through it, especially since I'm home until August. It certainly couldn't hurt.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have always wanted to reload. Then I hear the "war" stories of the mistakes. Now that ammo has gone up so much I am about ready to take my chances :grin:

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

Jeremae wrote: ....1. any crack (generally near mouth) 2. any ding/dent that the resize/decap die doesn't iron out 3. it is Win NT or some Speers (id by area between speer headstamp and primer edge) that use small pistol primers instead of large 4. deep nicks in rim.
Affirmative to the above. Also, re: the brass labeled "WCC": it is government contract brass which usually has crimped primer pockets (this crimp is what destroys primers as they're forced-into the pocket). There are a couple of firms (Dillon & RCBS) which market primer pocket swaging tools. This is nothing you should be wrorrying about at this stage of your game. It's far simpler to just throw the "WCC" brass away (or give it to me).

Also, Affirmative on the Lyman Manual. It's good. I've been loading for many years (picked up the habit at Wpns Trng Bn in Quantico) and have never seen clearer descriptions than Lyman writes.

I believe that an entry level class (forget the "Dummies" part) would be a big hit at the PSC event for this Forum.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

If Charles and Marc will do a seminar for the southern folks, I will volunteer Marty to do one in DFW. (yeah, I'll tell him later)

Let's find out how many are interested, then we can schedule a day that works for the majority.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yea & that is like forcing a teen ager to eat a hamburger & ice cream.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

llwatson wrote:If Charles and Marc will do a seminar for the southern folks, I will volunteer Marty to do one in DFW. (yeah, I'll tell him later)

Let's find out how many are interested, then we can schedule a day that works for the majority.

I am interested if it's a weeknight. :grin:
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

longtooth wrote:Yea & that is like forcing a teen ager to eat a hamburger & ice cream.
:lol:

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Hmm...I've got several WCC, TZZ, and others that don't appear to be crimped. (primers seated with no more force than other 45ACP) Did they make some uncrimped, or are these just more-than-once fired?

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

KD5NRH wrote:Hmm...I've got several WCC, TZZ, and others that don't appear to be crimped. (primers seated with no more force than other 45ACP) Did they make some uncrimped, or are these just more-than-once fired?
I've seen some later-manufactured WCC with no crimp. You're correct, the crimp can also be "worked" out of it the WCC brass by multiple reloadings with forcing the primer into the primer pocket. The other possibility is that its previous owner has used a swaging tool on it. TZZ (Israeli stuff) is something I've never seen with a crimp ... although I've heard that exists.

There's also a military headstamp with just numbers. My experience is that this brass usually has crimped primer pockets .... except if someone has used a swaging tool on it.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

If you have more time than sense, you can cut the crimp out with a chamfering tool or a countersink, by hand. Takes a while but only has to be done once on each case.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Return to “Reloading Forum”