Beginer Setup? Progressive?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rentz
Posts in topic: 3

Beginer Setup? Progressive?

Post by rentz »

I've thought about reloading for a few years now and see more shortages on the horizon so now might be as good a time as any to jump in.
have read here and there on it and see some recommend a single stage to start then get progressive and others say jump to progressive.

I'd be looking for volume with each session so progressive makes the most sense, does brand really matter? Lee vs hornandy vs dillon?

Would mainly be doing 9mm and 45acp to start but then expand out to 223 and then reloading for the c&r items like 303 british and 7.5x55

Richbirdhunter

Re: Beginer Setup? Progressive?

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I use a RCBS Rock chucker single stage for all of my hunting rifle ammo and load development.

I use a Hornady lnl AP for developed pistol ammo and 5.56
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

When I got into reloading I started with a Dillon Square Deal B. All the magazine advice was to start with single step equipment, but like you I was more interested in mass production. Making one round at a time, stopping reweigh and measure and what not seemed to make sense if I wanted to make super-accurate, low volume match or hunting rounds, but I was shooting revolver matches and even with revolvers we were going through quite a few rounds.

I just studied each step of the Dillon machine, figured out exactly what each step/station is was supposed to do and why. The first few times through I did do one or two rounds individually, measured and double checked, re-weighed powder pulls, and once I felt I had everything adjusted and locked down, started cranking them through. Even then I went slowly, set aside a few rounds and pulled the bullets, checked the power again, OAL, etc, I had to adjust my technique a bit, make sure I pulled the lever the same amount with the same strength every time.

Then I really started production, and it was great. Nothing like have a big ol' ammo can full of shiny copper and brass. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I always checked each individual round when I was done. Nothing fancy, just looked for split cases or raised primers, and would set aside maybe 5 or 10 percent and check length with a caliper.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

AndyC wrote:If you're attentive, you'll be fine with a progressive press.

If you're a moron, it'll help you blow your gun up real quick - like a guy I know who destroyed his M&P because he was too impatient to take things slow, learn the process and understand it.

Brand doesn't really matter, no - but whatever you do, stay away from the Lee Pro 1000; you might get it to work eventually but it'll be a frustrating ride for a beginner.
yeah, i'd definitely go slow and cautious at first since you're talking about something that could be VERY dangerous if done wrong.

hate to hear that about the lee pro 1000 it was one of the cheapest deals i could find.

I may check around and if i dont find a decent price on a progressive just get a rock chucker single stage for starting.

jed

Post by jed »

I use an old 80s Lee single stage to resize/decap and to prime. Same age Lee turret to load. Never got the auto index to work 25 years ago when I got it used. No matter, I had rather hand index so I know what's going on. Die plates set up with different dies, just pop a different plate in and change shell hold and ready to go.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I started with a Dillon 650.

I still have all of my fingers too!
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

rentz wrote:I've thought about reloading for a few years now and see more shortages on the horizon so now might be as good a time as any to jump in.
have read here and there on it and see some recommend a single stage to start then get progressive and others say jump to progressive.

I'd be looking for volume with each session so progressive makes the most sense, does brand really matter? Lee vs hornandy vs dillon?

Would mainly be doing 9mm and 45acp to start but then expand out to 223 and then reloading for the c&r items like 303 british and 7.5x55
Looks like we're both located in DFW, if you'd like to get together I'd be happy to show you both systems. Single stage and progressive. I'll have you load some up and see what you like.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

I started with Classic Turret and Lee Handheld press. You would like it and stick with it. For progressive press 5 stages are working at the same time, 5 issues may happen at the sametime. Fix it 5 times and it may work for you
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I reloaded my first rounds with a Dillon 650 with a case feed (Summer of 1997). I am not sure how many rounds I've reloaded but it's above 100,000. I wouldn't spend my time reloading on a single stage press.

.45ACP, 9MM, .38Super, .40S&W, .243 Winchester, 30-06, .308

Many of the long time rifle reloaders told me to start with a single stage. All the USPSA/IPSC shooters suggested starting with a 650 and moving up to a 1050 if I wanted to reload a lot.

The last few years, I've shot and reloaded less. I don't plan to part with my 650.

Your milage may vary.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
rentz wrote:I've thought about reloading for a few years now and see more shortages on the horizon so now might be as good a time as any to jump in.

Looks like we're both located in DFW, if you'd like to get together I'd be happy to show you both systems. Single stage and progressive. I'll have you load some up and see what you like.
This is the best thing you can do -- get an experienced reloader to teach you and point out potential pitfalls. Of course, there are hundreds of YouTube videos that can also help, but you can't beat being able to ask questions and get answers from people who know what they are doing.

I wouldn't guy a single stage press, if you have any intention of getting a progressive later. I learned on single stage presses because that's all that were available. If I were starting out now, I'd get a Dillon and a reloading mentor.

Chas.

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll be eyeing prices on progressive presses and maybe look into turrets as a cheaper option to start as well right now the hornandy and Dillon setups have the best reviews and pricing

Once I figure out my plan I might take you up on that offer for assistance richbirdhunter
We're both in Denton county as well

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

rentz wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll be eyeing prices on progressive presses and maybe look into turrets as a cheaper option to start as well right now the hornandy and Dillon setups have the best reviews and pricing

Once I figure out my plan I might take you up on that offer for assistance richbirdhunter
We're both in Denton county as well

You bet, happy to help

Return to “Reloading Forum”