Want to learn more about reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zimmerdesignz
Posts in topic: 5

Want to learn more about reloading

Post by zimmerdesignz »

I have been a shooter all my life but have never reloaded. I curious to learn more. If I do decide to move forward, I would love advise on how to get started and maybe avoid some new guy pitfalls. Can you suggest reading material and maybe equipement for the first timer. Is it going to be cheaper reloading compared to purchasing if I have brass? Thanks in advance
:tiphat:

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Want to learn more about reloading

Post by misterlarry »

I have not taken the NRA Basic Reloading course offered by Conroe Shooting Academy but I have taken many of their pistol and NRA Instructor courses and based on that can highly recommend their instructional capabilities.

http://www.conroeshootingacademy.com/programs.html

Take a look at the calendar or give them a call if you're interested.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Topic author
zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

txtaxman

Post by txtaxman »

Take a look at this web site: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to ... mmunition/

The "Lyman Reloading Handbook" is a good one to have. There is a chapter on The Basics of Reloading in addition to lots of reloading data.
Lamar County

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone in DFW area who wants to learn reloading, I can help.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

rotor

Post by rotor »

zimmerdesignz wrote:I have been a shooter all my life but have never reloaded. I curious to learn more. If I do decide to move forward, I would love advise on how to get started and maybe avoid some new guy pitfalls. Can you suggest reading material and maybe equipement for the first timer. Is it going to be cheaper reloading compared to purchasing if I have brass? Thanks in advance
Lyman book is very good. What do you want to reload? Pistol, rifle, shotgun? I reload all but I would not say any are cheaper. For a good not too expensive setup I would look at Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit , $185 at Midway.
One great source also is YouTube as many have posted fine videos of their reloading experience.
The final hurdle in reloading is getting supplies and powder can still be difficult to obtain. All in all, reloading is a lot of fun, not necessarily cheaper, more important for rifle than pistol. I would suggest not spending a lot of money on a progressive press to start, the Lee press above has about everything without spending a fortune and will turn out quality ammo.

Topic author
zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

Beiruty wrote:Anyone in DFW area who wants to learn reloading, I can help.
I'm in Houston :(
rotor wrote:
zimmerdesignz wrote:I have been a shooter all my life but have never reloaded. I curious to learn more. If I do decide to move forward, I would love advise on how to get started and maybe avoid some new guy pitfalls. Can you suggest reading material and maybe equipement for the first timer. Is it going to be cheaper reloading compared to purchasing if I have brass? Thanks in advance
Lyman book is very good. What do you want to reload? Pistol, rifle, shotgun? I reload all but I would not say any are cheaper. For a good not too expensive setup I would look at Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit , $185 at Midway.
One great source also is YouTube as many have posted fine videos of their reloading experience.
The final hurdle in reloading is getting supplies and powder can still be difficult to obtain. All in all, reloading is a lot of fun, not necessarily cheaper, more important for rifle than pistol. I would suggest not spending a lot of money on a progressive press to start, the Lee press above has about everything without spending a fortune and will turn out quality ammo.
At the moment 9mm. I will check into that one, thanks.

mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

Get a couple of reloading manuals to read through. The Lyman manual is a good one. The ABCs of Reloading is another good one:

The reloading forum has been a bit slow lately here, but there are some great and knowledgeable folks in the group to answer questions for you. Accurateshooter.com and the 1911forum.com also have some really good folks and active reloading forums.

You will get a lot of strong opinions about equipment: Dillon vs Lee vs RCBS vs Hornady et al. At the end of the day they all work well. It is more dependent upon your budget and volume you intend to reload.

I started off with a Lee single stage kit that had most of what I needed and bought dies for 30-06. I branched out to 45 and eventually got a Dillon progressive press. It worked well for me to learn the basics on the single stage press and I still use it for rifle rounds.

It sounds as though you are saving your brass, that's good as it is the most expensive component to purchase new. Depending upon the round, you can get many loads from your brass.

There is a great reloading store for powder, primers, etc. here in Houston. Check out 10ring. Great place. They also have swap meets in which you might pick up equipment, supplies, etc.

Good luck with it, holler anytime you have questions. Be aware, it is addictive! At the end of the day, for me, I haven't saved a ton of money, I just shoot 3-4 times as much for the same cost and picked up an enjoyable hobby to boot.
Last edited by mjoplin on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Ammosmith.com is a great resource I've been there for years and we can help you step by step.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

wally775

Post by wally775 »

+1 For ammosmith.com

:iagree:

I would suggest reading three reloading manuals front to back.
This may seem time consuming but will give you a massive jumpstart on
understanding reloading.
Modern Reloading Second Addition by Richard Lee is a good one for startup

Good Luck.

rotor

Post by rotor »

If your main interest is 9mm at the present time I think you can buy factory stuff cheaper than you can make it yourself. At least I can buy it cheaper when you figure time invested. One other issue is a legal issue and many have reported that you should use factory ammo for concealed (or open) carry, maybe the same brand your local LEO uses. Anyhow, save your brass.

Topic author
zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

Great advise here. I enjoy reading so the books will help. I will check out the stores. Not looking for self defense loads, just more range time.

terrykaty

Post by terrykaty »

I live in Katy and can show you PM me if you like.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I have couple videos that shows what LEE turret press can be "upgraded" to crank 5-6 rounds per minutes. Using bullet powder measure, bullet feeder, and auto eject for the completed cartridge.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Monk

Post by Monk »

Check out HIGHBOY76 on U tube he has a ton of video's that will help as well as reading the manual's.

Return to “Reloading Forum”