ANYONE USE STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ANYONE USE STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA

Post by Beiruty »

warnmar10 wrote:
rotor wrote:When I first started reloading I used ss media and it really does work. The cases look like new but don't work any better than cases done with my Cabelas tumbler. I found that I was just wasting time for cosmetics. If you want to get those cases clean, inside and out than ss is the best with dawn and lemishine as noted. I deprimed first and the cases come out great. Drying to me was a pain in the neck though. Also you have to pull ss pins out of the primer holes.
You're right, it is largely about cosmetics.. and personal satisfaction.

I spend ~10 minutes separating pins from cases. I use a tumbling media separator filled to capacity with water. I've yet to have a pin stick in a flash hole. By separating under water the pins can't stick to/in the case.

As for drying, that is the easiest part of my process. I clean ~500 cases at a time. After taking them from the separator I pour them onto the center of a very large beach towel. I grab both ends of the towel and make a sling that the cases ride in. As I raise and lower each end of the towel the cases tumble inside the sling. From there I dump them onto a half sheet pan and shove the whole thing into a preheated 170° oven. I don't know how long it takes for them to dry but I usually pull them out after about 40 minutes and all are dry.
:iagree:
You know what you are doing! I spin them in Lyman separator for some 30sec each way and the pins are not anymore in the cases. I use the magnet "tool" to pick the SS pins back to the tumbler and there where they stay. If I leave the pins on a large towel, in the morning, they are as dry as Arizona' long horns. I have the dryer blower thingy if I need to work on them soon. :fire
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 4

Re: ANYONE USE STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA

Post by Surgeon »

I finally found some stainless steel pins at the new Cabelas in League City off 45. Picked up a 5 lb bag for about $40.00 and change and a low end wet tumbler from Harbor Freight for about $45.00 ( on sale). The difference is is incredible. Primer pockets are clean needing only minor cleaning or touch up. Drying is no biggie, I just leave a fan pointed at them and the next day they're bone dry.
So thanks for the helpful advice.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Return to “Reloading Forum”