Is this a good bullet puller?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Is this a good bullet puller?

Post by Venus Pax »

"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Sailor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sailor »

This type of puller from different manufacturers is most preferred:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Cody
"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."--Winston Churchill

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I have the impact (or inertial) puller (in fact the exact one in sailors post) and it is very easy to use plus works on practically any centerfire cartridge.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Tom

Re: Is this a good bullet puller?

Post by Tom »

Venus Pax,

Those collet pullers are used primarily for large bullet pulling jobs - for those times when you need to pull
dozens or hundreds of bullets.

The impact pullers are for fixing up your screwups, and other times when only a couple or a few bullets need pulling.

I have both and they both work fine for their purposes.

You will need an impact puller. You may need/want a collet puller.

When just starting out, get the impact puller first.

Kind Regards,

Tom

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

VP,
I agree with Tom. Get the kinetic puller (the one that looks like a hammer) for your few mess-ups. Later on, you may decide that you want a collet puller that screws into your press.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

Even if you are a "Blue KoolAid" (Dillon) fan, the one from Midway is the same thing, only green (and about 1/2 the price as the DP).
Rodney

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Jeremae wrote:I have the impact (or inertial) puller (in fact the exact one in sailors post) and it is very easy to use plus works on practically any centerfire cartridge.
Me too!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The inertia (hammer) pullers will do the job for 90% of reloaders because you are usually just correcting a few bobbles. The collet pullers are great if you are breaking down a large quantity ammunition. Another plus with the inertia puller is the fact all the recovered components are unharmed and can be reused.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Tom

Post by Tom »

MoJo wrote:The inertia (hammer) pullers will do the job for 90% of reloaders because you are usually just correcting a few bobbles. The collet pullers are great if you are breaking down a large quantity ammunition. Another plus with the inertia puller is the fact all the recovered components are unharmed and can be reused.
Mojo,

The recovered components of the collet pulled bullets are also unharmed
and can be reused. You didn't really mean to imply that they couldn't be,
did you?

Kind Regards,

Tom

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Thanks for the replies. I'll be ordering the green bullet-puller soon.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

[quote="Tom

Mojo,

The recovered components of the collet pulled bullets are also unharmed
and can be reused. You didn't really mean to imply that they couldn't be,
did you?

Kind Regards,

Tom[/quote]

The collet type pullers will damage the bullet, sometimes making them unusable. The damage is mostly cosmetic but if you are loading for super accuracy in a rifle you can expect your groups to open up sometimes considerably. In a handgun, this isn't as apparent. I learned this the hard way by buying 1,000 bargain priced "pulled .30 cal boat tail military match bullets" back in the early days of my career as a high power rifle competitor. I wound up with 1,000 rounds of carefully loaded junk ammo that wasn't accurate enough for practice much less match use.

MoJo
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

phddan

Post by phddan »

Venus Pax wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'll be ordering the green bullet-puller soon.
Good choice. All you will need.

Dan

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

A tip when using kinetic pullers is to get you a piece of 4"X4" about 6" or so long to hit on. If you try using your work bench or wood floor, it will leave a big "ugly" spot with the first hit or so (don't ask me how I know :oops: ).
Rodney

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

MoJo wrote:Another plus with the inertia puller is the fact all the recovered components are unharmed and can be reused.
The collet pullers have a big advantage in that they just pull the bullet, without dumping the powder. That comes in real handy when you finish loading up a round then realize you grabbed a bullet from the 180gr box instead of the 150gr box you charged the case for, or your OAL is too short. I don't claim to be a good enough shooter to blame misses on .0001" deep scuffs on my bullets. More accuracy-affecting damage has likely already been done by the crimp.

Inertial pullers can lose powder around the case, guaranteeing at least another step in the process. Also, since powder can get hung up in the puller itself, you really don't have any way of knowing that some Bullseye from the last batch didn't get mixed in with the Blue Dot from the round you just pulled. I burn off all the powder from inertial pulls for that reason.

Diode

Post by Diode »

+1 for the Hammer.

Return to “Reloading Forum”