Remove S.A / NSA restrictions

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomneal »

This isn't a huge deal to me but...
I don't see the need for this.
It reminds me of states that require the SN of the gun(s) that you carry.

To all those folks that think Revolvers are 100% reliable...
One of my shooting buddies dropped his S&W 610 with the cylinder open. The gun was completly unfireable until his gunsmith fixed it.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

I agree that this seems like a useless provision. Why was this put in the original legislation?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I actually think this should stay. If a person wants to carry a more complicated pistol then that person should demonstrate that they're capable of safely operating it.
Just because the majority of us on this forum find it simple and second nature doesn't mean the population as a whole has the same knowledge.

If you qualify with a semi auto then it stands to reason that you're capable of safely handling a revolver. The opposite is not true imho.

Would you want your significant other carrying a pistol for protection that they don't know how to operate? Of course not but people do it.

Topic author
tomneal

Alaska Carry

Post by tomneal »

Again

My goal is Alaska Carry

This is a step along the way.

Here is a senerio to consider.

A new shooter get a CHL using the only handgun they own. A Revolver.
Time passes and they realize that a Semi-Auto may be better for them.

Can you answer this question?
Hey Mr. ShootsALot, how do I convert my NSA CHL to a SA CHL?

Short of waiting until it's time to renew.
I can't answer the question.
See you at the range

Topic author
tomneal

Why was this put in the original legislation?

Post by tomneal »

Why was this put in the original legislation?

Probable to make the law more complicated so as to discurage participation.
See you at the range

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Actually you CAN get it changed and you don't have to renew the whole thing.
You simply have to pay some money, fill out a form and qualify with an auto. I don't recall the specifics but we talked about it in my CHL class.
Can you answer this question?
Hey Mr. ShootsALot, how do I convert my NSA CHL to a SA CHL?

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

All you have to retake is the range ( shooting ) part of the class with a semi and we give you a TR 100 showing that you passed, that is sent to the DPS with 25.00 to change your license.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

HighVelocity wrote:I actually think this should stay. If a person wants to carry a more complicated pistol then that person should demonstrate that they're capable of safely operating it.
In terms of complexity, a 1911 and a SAA are pretty close (some might rightly argue that the SAA is more complex). Likewise for a bobbed DAO revolver, and a Glock.

The current SA/NA scheme assumes that someone who can operate a bobbed DAO revolver can't operate a Glock (or Kahr, or P89DAO, etc.). Likewise, it assumes that someone who can operate a Glock, etc., can master a 1911 or any other, more complex, SA.

*feh*

The proficiency test is just that: a test of shooting proficiency. It's not a test of mastery of the particular firearm. If that was the issue, we wouldn't let Glocksters carry 1911s.

Kevin

Kevin

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The proficiency test is just that: a test of shooting proficiency
There were two students in my class that had rented Glocks and could not figure out how to use them. The instructor told them to come back and take the course another day as it was not meant to be a firearms instruction class.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

As an instructor I usually have anywhere from 10-20 Armed Security Guard renewals a week, 20 or so initial Armed Guards per month, and I personally teach 35 or so CHL students per month. The range does at least 80 initial CHL students per month and probably 40 or so renewals.

I believe I speak with some authority on this subject. People who try to shoot with a semi-auto and have only handled revolvers have major problems, in general. Bullets in backwards, mags in backwards, unable to lock the slide back, release the slide, manipulate safeties, decockers, etc.

While attempting to do so they do all sorts of unsafe things.

I am in agreement with the NSA/SA restrictions.

We regularly stop people from trying to qualify with semi-autos, and put them in revolvers. Not many, but it happens.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

HighVelocity wrote: There were two students in my class that had rented Glocks and could not figure out how to use them. The instructor told them to come back and take the course another day as it was not meant to be a firearms instruction class.
That's scary. I'm glad the instructors caught on and wouldn't allow them to shoot until they had learned what the heck they were doing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

txinvestigator wrote: We regularly stop people from trying to qualify with semi-autos, and put them in revolvers. Not many, but it happens.
What size are your classes, Tx?

I ask because we do just the opposite. We put everyone in SAs, even if they are revolver people. However, my classes are very small, and if someone is unfamiliar with SAs, we are able to take a little extra time before class for familiarization and practice.

Then, if they want to carry a revolver, great; but if the move to SAs, they don't have to requalify.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I don't like the rule. I was in a TCLEOSE Firearm Instructor course and there were officers my age that could work their Glocks just fine, but had never shot a revolver and had no idea how they worked. :shock: :shock:

It seems like the state would encourage one to qual with the gun they will carry. I carry a Smith 36 or 37 a lot, but I would never use it to qual with in the CHL course because I would be limiting myself.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

anygunanywhere

You Nailed It.

Post by anygunanywhere »

Amen, Baytown. The SA/NSA is bull. The wife packs a revolver. I had her shoot and qualify with a SA since, maybe the day pigs fly, she will want to pack a hmmmm, let's see, Desert Eagle?

Nah. She will probably meet another XX type who totes a stainless Python. Don't have one of them yet.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

wrt45 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: We regularly stop people from trying to qualify with semi-autos, and put them in revolvers. Not many, but it happens.
What size are your classes, Tx?

I ask because we do just the opposite. We put everyone in SAs, even if they are revolver people. However, my classes are very small, and if someone is unfamiliar with SAs, we are able to take a little extra time before class for familiarization and practice.

Then, if they want to carry a revolver, great; but if the move to SAs, they don't have to requalify.
Classes average 15-20 for initials. Usually these are people who have never shot before, and decide they want to qualify with a semi-auto. We only stop them if they are obviously incompetent with the semi. Happens more than you'd think.

Return to “Goals for 2007”