Texas Constitution

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Constitution

Post by anygunanywhere »

Section 23 of the Texas Constitution states that

"Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime."

It should be ammended to say

"Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

We on this forum as well as other enlightened individuals know that firearms laws do nothing to prevent crime. Time to ammend the constitution.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

+1 good call.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

+1

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

My "Signature" says it all...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Not that I disagree with you, but do you think it will make a difference?

The US Constitution is very clear, but that does not seem to make a rip now days.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I keep seeing the phrase "one step at a time". Sure the federal 2A is walked on, but the way I figure it, the more changes that make it to the legislature, the more chance we have of regaining our rights as stated in the Constitution. I nevr really have believed in compromise. I want it all. Instant gratification. I am the most impatient person I know.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

tomneal

The Texas Constitution is longer than the US but...

Post by tomneal »

The Texas Constitution is longer than the US but...

Even though they are both clear to me,
they don't seem to be clear to any branch of Government.

For example
What does the "wearing of arms" mean in the Texas Constitution.

Joe ShootsALot likes to carry his slingless rifle with him. He might be fine on the back roads near my deer lease but how long do you think it would be able to walk on the roads of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin?

If he crossed a school parking lot (even when the school was not open) do you think he would be arrested and charged with "something".

Where I am leading with this argument is,
Unless all three branches of government are on the same page as us,
The Constitution won't protect our rights.

The gun debate that we have been engaged in for the last 20 years has educated all three branches of government. In Texas and some other states they have moved to our side on the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Other states have not.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

stevie_d_64

Re: The Texas Constitution is longer than the US but...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

tomneal wrote:What does the "wearing of arms" mean in the Texas Constitution.

Joe ShootsALot likes to carry his slingless rifle with him. He might be fine on the back roads near my deer lease but how long do you think it would be able to walk on the roads of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin?

If he crossed a school parking lot (even when the school was not open) do you think he would be arrested and charged with "something".
I refer you to the Republican convention held in Houston a few years ago...It may have been that, but it was some convention held at the Goerge R. Brown at that time...

Quannel X (our illustrious wannabe) strutted around the facility in a big media blitz with all his handlers, some of which were armed with "assault rifles and shotguns" at the ready...

He surely didn't go into the facility, but he sure did represent a credible threat to most there, and when confronted by an older man walking by him to get into the facility, the old man questioned Quannel X about what he thought he was doing there presenting himself in that manner...The old man was assaulted by one of the armed handlers...

I believe it was cought on tape by some local news affiliate...

What happened??? Nothing...

And those of us who tout the value of our 2nd Amendement and State Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, are considered the dangerous ones???

I may still be considered to be young and impressionable, but I am old enough to know bull when I see it...

Imagine if you were that old man...Or if that was your Father, Brother, Uncle or even your friend...

I'm just citing an example (of what you were discussing earlier Tom)...Not cross with you in any way sir...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

tomneal

Rumor has it

Post by tomneal »

Rumor has it

that HPD swat had the guy in his sights and was waiting on the shoot order.
The order never came.

On the other hand

Quannel X did us a favor.
His folks carried long guns on the street.
It was carried on the news.
The public got educated that it is perfictly legal for ANYONE that can possess a firearm to carry one on the street.
His group got the bad PR and not us.

If I remember correctly HPD leadership was on the news saying it was legal.

One of the problems with all the gun laws in the US is folks think everything dealing with guns is illegal or should be illegal.

Educating the public is a good thing.

Police officers are part of the public and they were educated as well.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Return to “Goals for 2007”