Who is online question

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Who is online question

Post by puma guy »

I have never used the who's online tag, but I checked it just now and there were three users and zero hidden. Listed were me, Google (BOT) and Bing (BOT). What does that mean? Is that some nefarious means for someone to keep tabs on the website?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Tex1961

Re: Who is online question

Post by Tex1961 »

Bots, or also known as web crawlers are generally used by search engines to crawl the web to index information. That’s why when you do an internet search you find content that matches your queries. While there are some nefarious bots out there, the majority are benign.

Rafe

Re: Who is online question

Post by Rafe »

And we can choose to hide our online status when we log-in. Which is possibly something I should do. Because lately I've been working mainly from home and on this particular PC I've been leaving the forum open in a browser tab...sometimes even overnight. So I'm really messing up the accuracy of the stats and who's really online. I might be an hour's drive away on the other side of Houston and gone all day but it'll look like I'm still here.

I'm a ghost in the machine! :mrgreen:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”