Gamer keyboards?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Gamer keyboards?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I use a lot of different software and use macros whenever possible. I was looking at some "gamer" keyboards with a lot of extra keys and buttons, but I can't find out of those extra keys/buttons are programmable. By programmable, I mean the ability to store keystrokes, rather than software-specific functions. If they are, then it could save me a good bit of time, especially when moving between software packages in multiple windows.

Any opinions?

Chas.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gamer keyboards?

Post by Kalrog »

Most of the keyboards that have extra buttons are programmable via the driver package - gamer ones or not. But I don't think you could have button xyz mean alt+ctrl+L in one application and alt+tab in another. It would always need to be set to just one "macro".

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Kalrog wrote:Most of the keyboards that have extra buttons are programmable via the driver package - gamer ones or not. But I don't think you could have button xyz mean alt+ctrl+L in one application and alt+tab in another. It would always need to be set to just one "macro".
That's exactly what I need. Thanks, Kalrog, now all I need to do is find the one with the most extra buttons!

Chas.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Charles - you are turning into a geek! Good to know you will have something to fall back on if this lawyering thing doesn't work out!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KinnyLee »

Logitech G15. or a G19. I have the second gen G15, but heard first gen has more macro buttons.

CainA

Post by CainA »

Chas.

Here's a G15 that KinnyLee mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-23126034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can actually get this for $64.99 after mail in rebate and using Promo Code: EMCLPLS39 with free shipping.

You can also read reviews(at that link above) and one of the guys mentions a V1, I don't know what that is, but he talks about it having a lot of buttons.

I also don't know if that's a good price or not, but I'd imagine it is, as Newegg has some pretty good deals.

Good luck.

-Cain

newmenu2

Post by newmenu2 »

I like the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member\TSRA member

newmenu2

Post by newmenu2 »

Ive been using it as my gaming keyboard for a while now, I also use it to do my homework and papers for college and it is not only the best gaming KB I know of, it is the best all round KB you can get.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member\TSRA member

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

CainA wrote:one of the guys mentions a V1, I don't know what that is, but he talks about it having a lot of buttons.
Gen 1 with 18 macro keys vs Gen 2 with 6 macro keys

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Charles,
Let me know if you want to try out my G15. I wouldn't mind letting you try before you go out to buy one.

Xander

Post by Xander »

The G11 is closer to the Gen I G15 than the Gen II G15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823126009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For another option, instead of or in addition to a new keyboard, a secondary game pad like the 25 key programmable Logitech G13 might be an option to think about.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823126050" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”