I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Post by carlson1 »

Can someone explain in English the difference between the 16GB and the 32GB? I do not use the internet that much on my Blackberry. My main uses it Phone, Emails, and limited internet. I am try to decide if it is worth the extra money.

Actually I need someone to talk me out of the IPHONE and give me all kind of great reasons to stick with the Blackberry. Then I can buy more ammo. ;-)

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Post by Dave2 »

Get the iPhone :mrgreen:

The only difference between the two is their storage capacity. If you think you'll run out of room with the 16GB version, get the 32GB one.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

arod757
Posts in topic: 1

Post by arod757 »

Good reason not to buy the iPhone 4 now is because the next generation iPhone (4S or 5) will be released later this year. Best to just wait or you'll be stuck in a contract on an outdated device with the new one coming out right around the corner... assuming you were planning on purchasing at the subsidized price, that is.

AEA
Posts in topic: 13

Post by AEA »

I have one. The 16gb version is plenty for you if you are not going to download and save a lot of movies & such. That's what the gb's are for, storage, not memory like a computer.

I can tell you that you are not going to be doing that anyway because of the data cap of a max of 2gb per month with "AT&Thief".

I can also tell you it is not worth the money to buy for your stated purposes and the contract service costs is too expensive for the limited amount of data (use that you will get out of it per month). The newness wears off after a couple of months and you have learned everything you can do.

Wireless phone companies are out of control with their service prices and plans. It really makes me mad that we put up with this! Worse than the Govt!

iTunes is a LOAD! And you cannot have an iPhone without using iTunes to load/update it.

My advice to you is to keep your blackberry.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

In contrast to previous experience i have Iphone 4 on ATT and happen to have a Grandfathered unlimited data plan that I thought was really special - Except that just like ATT says in press - I use between 200 and 400 mb of data a month MAX. So my unlimited plan means very little - Even the months Ive spent traveling ALL month and rarely had access to home or work Wifi - I never went over the 300 or 400 mb. Even though I knew I had unlimited data and used it whenever where ever

I dont try to download movies or watch TV on it which I never understood anyway. If you are buying an Iphone and don't know which to get -get the bigger one- that way you wont have to MANAGE your available space. If you want to listen to music, maybe some podcasts, and take some pictures you will eat up the space pretty quick. The bigger one will keep you from HAVING to manage the space

Finally on data caps - I spend $100 plus a month for voice and data - Not thrilled with that amount BUT I DONT want my costs to be high enough to subsidize the small percentage that use CRAZY amounts of data. Id rather have a reasonable cap that way, just like ATT says that vast majority get what they need, and the few that are using so much data they strain the network pay a little more...

My $0.02

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

Just like 92f-fan, i'm on that unlimited plan and we use very little of it. Now that we have both added tethering (nice!) that may change. right now my usage on my 4G, after 1/2 a year says 9.2gb received.
As for storage, I had a 3G with 8 gb, and I barely got it over half full in 2 years. Lots of apps loaded (4 screens worth) and about 300 songs, 200 pictures.
The 4g 16 gb I've had since Christmas is much less than half full. Wife has the larger storage but she does download movies.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

I got grandfathered into unlimited data and I sure use it. Netflix is my friend.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Carlson, we older guys most likely don't use our smart phones in the same fashion the younger folks do (portable computer basically), so its unlikely you would ever use 16 gigs of memory.

I like my Iphone4 and 16gb is more than I'll ever use. Even if a newer model becomes available soon, you don't need the latest and greatest and the same OS will probably be available (as an update) anyway.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I have the 16GB (which shows up as 14 GB) iPhone and basic data plan and haven't come close to using either of them. I really didn't need, or need to afford, the iphone but I needed to be able to monitor and manage some security system CCTV and access control away from the building. So I ended up with the iphone. It's nice and I use it a lot but I also don't live on it. No facebook, twitter, videos, TV, facetime, etc.

505 songs (1.4 days) 1.9GB (and some of them are on there just because I am Itunes challenged and can't quite figure out home sharing)
25 Apps .65 GB (I don't go looking for apps just to add. If I find one that works for me I keep it. If not, it gets deleted. I also primarily stay with free apps because I'm cheap)
A few photos .11 GB
And a few Other(?) .33GB
Grand total 3GB

So I have 11 GB left. I'll add a few more songs, more photos will be taken, and apps will be added as I find them useful. Even with the additions I can't see me ever getting close to using the remaining 11 GB I have.

I have, what I guess is, the basic data plan. In the last month or so I've used 200 MB of my 2GB plan.

Unless you are into downloading and saving a lot of stuff on your phone, the 16GB should be plenty.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BrianSW99 »

Someone mentioned earlier not to buy now because an updated version will be coming out. Just to give some more information on that, it's expected the new version will be announced in September and going on sale shortly after that. Of course, like all new iPhone releases, it will probably be difficult to find one for a few weeks after launch.

From what I've read, the main differences with the next version will be a faster processor and a better camera. I have the iPhone 4 and can tell you the processor speed will be plenty fast for what you're wanting to use it for and the camera on the iPhone 4 is almost as good as our Canon digital camera.

Also, on space, I have the 32 and haven't even filled up 16 of it. I have about 2500 songs in my music library and that uses up about 12GB of space.

Hope that helps..

Brian

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I agree, I'm happy with my 4. I can't really think of anything I'd change, except the reliance on iTunes. My phone does not sync very often, but so far it hasn't been a big problem.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Rex B wrote:I agree, I'm happy with my 4. I can't really think of anything I'd change, except the reliance on iTunes. My phone does not sync very often, but so far it hasn't been a big problem.
In the iOS 5 announcement a couple weeks ago they said one of the new features with version 5 is that it will sync to the "cloud" and eliminate the need for iTunes or connecting to a computer for syncing or backing up.

Brian

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

BrianSW99 wrote:
Rex B wrote:I agree, I'm happy with my 4. I can't really think of anything I'd change, except the reliance on iTunes. My phone does not sync very often, but so far it hasn't been a big problem.
In the iOS 5 announcement a couple weeks ago they said one of the new features with version 5 is that it will sync to the "cloud" and eliminate the need for iTunes or connecting to a computer for syncing or backing up.

Brian
I don't know enough about that to know that it's an improvement :???:
-----------

AEA
Posts in topic: 13

Post by AEA »

That cloud update/sync would be a good thing,.....Maybe!
With iPhone OS updates every other month, you may go over your data plan just to update your phone. Then you can pay overages!

I have the 2gb plan and have only once got close to reaching it. My point being I pay for that data and when not used it is not rolled over.

Also, the cost of purchase and use! :banghead:
Does anyone have the 200mg plan? I doubt it. That would be pretty useless.

Why do we have an overpriced voice contract that allows rollover unused minutes but with the add on of the data plan the price goes up and unused data (that you pay for) is not rolled over?

Get all the bells and whistles and the price you are paying is close to the monthly payment of a economy car!

My point is that wireless service (Voice & Data) on a neat super phone like the iPhone 4 is way overpriced!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

AEA wrote:That cloud update/sync would be a good thing!

But the cost of purchase and use! :banghead:

Does anyone have the 200mg plan? I doubt it. That would be pretty useless.

Why do we have to have a overpriced voice contract that allows rollover unused minutes but with the add on of the data plan the price goes up and unused data is not rolled over?

Get all the bells and whistles and the price you are paying is close to the monthly payment of a economy car!

My point is that wireless service (Voice & Data) on a neat super phone like the iPhone 4 is way overpriced!
I think they said you'll get 5GB of iCould storage for free. Also, it apparently defaults to only syncing over WiFi, so it wouldn't be using your data plan. I haven't read if AT&T is going to allow syncing over the cell network or not.

My wife has the 200MB plan and almost never goes over. She only uses it for email, calendar and very limited web browsing.

Brian

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”