Need new browser today!!

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Mike1951
Posts in topic: 9

Need new browser today!!

Post by Mike1951 »

I've never used anything except IE, currently version 9.

Kim Komando is predicting all kinds of gloom and doom before Tuesday's 57 Microsoft security patches, to the extent that she recommends using another browser until the patches are installed.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx? ... y-b&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm running Win 7 64-bit and would like recommendations on which browser to install, either temporary or permanent.

While I might consider Chrome, it infuriates me that Google has tried to trick me into installing it coupled with every software patch/upgrade. A couple of times when it got past me, I immediately uninstalled it. Because I despise their tactics, Chrome has at least one strike against it.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need new browser today!!

Post by PBR »

firefox is great, 1000 times better than ie -- http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have used IE, Firefox and Chrome I really, really like Chrome. YMMV
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I just installed Firefox and am running it now. I really don't like what I see!!

Although I imported everything, I don't see the scores of favorites that I have in IE. It may be just too much of a change from IE.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Just noticed something. The new post icon for forum messages doesn't clear after reading the new posts.

It was working after the server move, so assume Firefox related?

ETA: For some reason, returning to new posts doesn't clear the tag but an extra refresh does.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

You can't learn Firefox in 5 minutes........maybe 10 though.
Seriously, Firefox is far superior to IE in many ways and much more secure. Give it time and stick with it. Check for add on's you might like. It will grow on you.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

AEA wrote:You can't learn Firefox in 5 minutes........maybe 10 though.
Seriously, Firefox is far superior to IE in many ways and much more secure. Give it time and stick with it. Check for add on's you might like. It will grow on you.
Tell me how to print the page! I just generated a return label for Walgreens and don't see any way to print it!

Seriously, I had at least a hundred favorites in IE. When I imported into Firefox, I now have eight.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mike1951 wrote:Tell me how to print the page! I just generated a return label for Walgreens and don't see any way to print it!
Ctrl-P?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

I'm a fan of Chrome. I went from IE to Firefox and now to Chrome. I use many of the features of Chrome that scare the tinfoil hat folks. :mrgreen:

I love the fact that no mater what computer or device I am on, all my sites, history and favorites are there. I can even log in to a hotel computer and I am all set.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Try this as a tutorial spot http://lifehacker.com/5867444/the-alway ... to-firefox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Firefox has set the standard for other browsers. Ive been a Mozilla user way before Firefox was developed. I hate to brag, but in all these years I havent had a security breach.

How to import favorites from IE to Firefox. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/im ... t-explorer

I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email & though it doesnt have as many features as MS Outlook, it is far safer & with it's filters I can do just about anything. I get 1 item of spam per every other week that I have to manually deal with & that is by choice.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Keith B wrote:Try this as a tutorial spot http://lifehacker.com/5867444/the-alway ... to-firefox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Keith. But a 'power users' guide is definitely beyond me. I'll refer to it, I'm sure. Truth is, I don't want or need anything more powerful than IE. It's what I'm used to.

I did find the Firefox orange button that contained the print option, but I can't imagine that I won't revert to IE Tuesday.

I hate change more than anything, even if I can figure out how to use it.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Jim Beaux wrote:Firefox has set the standard for other browsers. Ive been a Mozilla user way before Firefox was developed. I hate to brag, but in all these years I havent had a security breach.

How to import favorites from IE to Firefox. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/im ... t-explorer

I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email & though it doesnt have as many features as MS Outlook, it is far safer & with it's filters I can do just about anything. I get 1 item of spam per every other week that I have to manually deal with & that is by choice.
The import failed again. I had checked the 'Import' button during the install and it install four bookmarks. I just went through the instructions and it added the same three in a folder.

History appears to have worked. I'm assuming cookies didn't because I had to login to this forum again.

Thanks for the help, but it looks like Firefox just ain't worth the trouble for me.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

Tools/Options/Privacy for cookies settings

Tools/Options/Security for saved passwords settings/options
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Thanks to everyone, but already uninstalled Firefox. Last thing I wanted was to learn a new program.

Ms. Komando's warning that IE should not be used until MS can update it with 57 patches this Tuesday had me looking.

I swallowed my pride and installed Chrome. It's intuitive enough the learning curve should be short. I hit the ground running with it.

And all of my settings imported correctly, which Firefox did not.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”