Needed: Access Database expert

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Needed: Access Database expert

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We may need to hire someone to build an IDPA scoring software package around Microsoft Access. We've been using Jane Fleming's excellent ForScore for years and it's excellent. Unfortunately, she's not supporting it any longer and although ours is working fine, the day will come when it won't be available. We're not at all interested in using the software or service on the IDPA website!

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Chas.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Needed: Access Database expert

Post by suthdj »

If it is not a copyright violation send me a copy and I can let you know if I am up to the task.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

suthdj wrote:If it is not a copyright violation send me a copy and I can let you know if I am up to the task.
It doesn't use Access and I sure wish it did! It uses a tps file extension that I understand to be Clarion TopSpeed. It will have to be written from scratch.

Thanks,
Chas.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
suthdj wrote:If it is not a copyright violation send me a copy and I can let you know if I am up to the task.
It doesn't use Access and I sure wish it did! It uses a tps file extension that I understand to be Clarion TopSpeed. It will have to be written from scratch.

Thanks,
Chas.
Sent PM.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

if you can port the existing database to a .CSV file, it can be opened with access but you will most likely have to manually set column and row parameters but it beats data entry from scratch...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Do you need this to be a desktop application, or could it be a web app?

Regards,

SK
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

skeathley wrote:Do you need this to be a desktop application, or could it be a web app?

Regards,

SK
It needs to be a desktop application.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I've been too busy to focus on this project, but we need to hire someone if anyone is interested.

Chas.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Charles, let me know if I understand correctly:
You have a lot of data in an access database and want to build a custom application around the data that you've got, mainly because your current application (excellent ForScore) will no longer be supported.

Developing the app (custom) will be expensive. Also, you're using an DB technology that that isn't widely used in the application development space, which is going to limit who can work on it.

Recommend:
1) Define business requirements - I don't *think* you're really stuck with access, but I *think* you want to maintain the data set that you've got. That will open up many choices on how you get the problem resolved.
2) You might look to have your data ported into an existing application (UberScoreMaster.com / commencefiring.com, etc). Having a developer that knows access, but knows nothing about scored shooting is going to take a lot of iteration, explanation, and per hour cost. Re-inventing the wheel is expensive and often you don't get a nice wheel.
3) You might have more luck and less cost paying someone to support what you've already got via source code. Often developers are willing to pass on unsupported apps. Actually, I'd probably start here...
4) Freelancer.com is a good suggestion, but again - defining what you want might work out better for you than requesting a custom app around access.

PM me if I can get you steered in the right direction.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I would agree with CBR. If there is a way to keep what you are currently running and not have it get so outdated that it wont run on modern OS's (dont get stuck in the XP pinch)

As he said above I think you are limiting yourself if you do stay with the Access DB if you make a change. You are just setting yourself up for having to do this again in the future.

At a minimum I would look at running this on some version of SQL as there are still plenty powerful free versions of SQL.

I assume you have looked at this (http://www.idpascore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

We don't have anything in Access, I was just suggesting that as something that isn't a propriety package. We don't want anything that cloud based so Uberscoremaster isn't an option for us. I'm not sure what Jane used to develop ForScore, but some of the files have .tps extensions. I seriously doubt she'd be open to anyone using her package, especially in light of how she's been treated by some folks. We had someone develop a membership application for our club using SQL, so we may have to get him to do it.

Thanks for the input guys,
Chas.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Sent you a PM.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”