Samsung Galaxy S4 -- Unwanted tones

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Samsung Galaxy S4 -- Unwanted tones

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My Galaxy S4 periodically makes a hard to describe noise. It's like a two-tone popping noise. It's not notifying you of a new email, text message, or anything else that I can tell. It's really annoying especially when I'm in a meeting. It does it randomly about 2 or 3 dozen times a day.

I've run a Google search and found nothing helpful. Some people claim that credit card strips in your wallet will cause it and while I have my doubts, it's not causing my problem. The phone isn't near my wallet. Even AT&T's enhanced support can't help. (Turning off TalkBack doesn't help. It's always off anyway.)

Has anyone conquered this problem?

Chas.

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 -- Unwanted tones

Post by Texsquatch »

If you use an app for your email, it may be email notifications. I had similar problem with my Note 3. I had all the ring tones/notifications set how I wanted, but kept hearing random sounds. You'll actually have to go into the email app itself and turn off sounds if that's the case.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Tip 3: Silence touch sounds

The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini like to make noise, when you lock it, unlock it and more persistently whenever you touch the screen. Whilst the lock/unlock chimes are please, the same repeating water droplet sound effect can get a little irritating.

Thankfully it’s easy to disable by hopping into the Settings menu, tapping on the My device tab at the top, choosing the Sound options and unticking the Touch sounds tick box. You can also disable the dial pad and screen lock sounds from this menu too.
http://recombu.com/mobile/news/samsung- ... 19492.html

Maybe this?
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jim Beaux wrote:

The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini like to make noise, when you lock it, unlock it and more persistently whenever you touch the screen. Whilst the lock/unlock chimes are please, the same repeating water droplet sound effect can get a little irritating.

Thankfully it’s easy to disable by hopping into the Settings menu, tapping on the My device tab at the top, choosing the Sound options and unticking the Touch sounds tick box. You can also disable the dial pad and screen lock sounds from this menu too.

Maybe this?
That's a very good description of the sound, but I have the Touch sounds disabled. I've changed the email notification as Texsquatch suggested and I haven't heard anything in about an hour or more. If that fixed it, I'm even more stumped because I get very few emails on my phone. I even have it set to query the email server once an hour, but the water drops were happening far more often.

Thanks,
Chas.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

My friend has an S4 on Sprint, it used to make noise seemingly at random as well. Turns out his was set to issue an audio notification that his service quality had changed (3G to 4G or 4G to 3G). The noise his made was more of a click sound though.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

Maybe this?
That's a very good description of the sound, but I have the Touch sounds disabled. I've changed the email notification as Texsquatch suggested and I haven't heard anything in about an hour or more. If that fixed it, I'm even more stumped because I get very few emails on my phone. I even have it set to query the email server once an hour, but the water drops were happening far more often.

Thanks,
Chas.
Do you have the Facebook app on your phone? My phone alerts on every new FB post related to my page.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

eureka40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eureka40 »

It's the water drop sound.

It's a notification.
TSRA Life Memeber

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jimlongley wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

Maybe this?

Thanks,
Chas.
Do you have the Facebook app on your phone? My phone alerts on every new FB post related to my page.
No.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

eureka40 wrote:It's the water drop sound.

It's a notification.
That's what I think, but it's not notifying me of anything. There's no incoming email or text message and no change in the phone status (ex. 4G v. WiFi).

It appears that I managed to turn it off; I wish I know for sure how.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Mine has a nag setting in my calendar app that will sound periodically to remind me there was an appointment or notification I didn't dismiss. It got to where it drove me crazy. Last thing I need is another nag.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

eureka40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eureka40 »

With your finger, pull(swipe) down at the very top of the screen. That should drag down the notification page.

It's there, just keep trying until you get the hang of it. Also, is there a blue LED flashing at top left?

That flashing blue light is telling you that there are notifications.
TSRA Life Memeber

BenGoodLuck

Post by BenGoodLuck »

Swipe down the top menu and touch the settings icon (the gear), then touch My Device, then touch Sound. Go through each entry under 'Ringtones and notifications' and select how you want to be notified. For example, I have 'Default notification sound' set as 'Beep once'. You can choose from a number of sounds, and you can also select 'Silent'. Then scroll down to 'Samsung applications' and select the tone or 'Silent' for each one.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”