Gun safe and home surveillance!

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Gun safe and home surveillance!

Post by bmwrdr »

I finally decided to add some security to my home. There are too many stories in the news about burglaries and the thugs getting away with it because of missing or lack of evidence. I ordered two web cams and will mount one in the living room to monitor the glass door to the patio. The 2nd will go above the safe. I program both for motion detection and e-mail notification with pictures attached.
The technical part is not a problem for me and I’ll share details if somebody is interested.
The question I have is related to our legal system. Will a Police department, investigating officer or a court accept this kind of evidence?

The cameras I ordered are here.
http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_ser ... .shtml?t=c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I ordered one of each via Amazon under list price.
Those cameras provide exactly the features needed for surveillance and more.
As I said, the cameras are ordered but not installed yet.
Last edited by bmwrdr on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

MMac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun safe and home surveillance!

Post by MMac »

I don't know the answer to your question, but am wondering what type of web cams you purchased?

Thanks,
Mac
Houston/Klein, TX
NRA Member
S&W M&P 9FS, 9c, Shield 9, 15-22

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

MMac wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, but am wondering what type of web cams you purchased?

Thanks,
See update on my original post.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

OK, thank you. So a accurate time stamp and location print in the picture(s) should be sufficient.
I'll call the local PD tomorrow to find out what they know.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Short story, A LEO knocked on my door, I guess to warn me about a robber in the area that pulled a knife on my neighbor who fired his AK at him causing him to flee the house and head north. We had choppers in the air all kinds of police etc.... My response was "really I never heard a shot fired" then I walked outside to show the LEO all my cameras and I probably got the guy on video. We viewed the video and saw no robber the neighbor had an ND and told a story for some reason. He was a lawyer also horrible story teller. I gave a copy of the video to the LEO's a couple days later the detective calls me to get a time difference for the video as it was 20 minutes off. So long story short yes LEO's can use video even when the time stamp is wrong. Moral of the story, own up to a ND it will cost less then lying.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

suthdj wrote:Short story, A LEO knocked on my door, I guess to warn me about a robber in the area that pulled a knife on my neighbor who fired his AK at him causing him to flee the house and head north. We had choppers in the air all kinds of police etc.... My response was "really I never heard a shot fired" then I walked outside to show the LEO all my cameras and I probably got the guy on video. We viewed the video and saw no robber the neighbor had an ND and told a story for some reason. He was a lawyer also horrible story teller. I gave a copy of the video to the LEO's a couple days later the detective calls me to get a time difference for the video as it was 20 minutes off. So long story short yes LEO's can use video even when the time stamp is wrong. Moral of the story, own up to a ND it will cost less then lying.
Ha!
Very interesting.
The video does not lie.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

bmwrdr wrote: The question I have is related to our legal system. Will a Police department, investigating officer or a court accept this kind of evidence?
Yes. I have a fair number of outdoor cameras, including some remote installs on battery/solar power. A few little hoodlums came through, caught on camera. Social media identified them. Police were more than happy to take the photos and the names. Certainly helps with the memory of parents who said their kids weren't in the area.

If you're asking can a digital photo be challenged? I suppose that's true, but so can your word in regard to "I saw him do it"...

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

There is a case and search in progress in the Dallas area now where a thief was captured taking a package off of a porch and was captured by a video camera. The police have released the video to the news to see if someone will recognize the guy.

I have 4 cameras outside and 2 inside. I assume the police will use them if necessary.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”