"Banned from site" when using a VPN ?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 1

"Banned from site" when using a VPN ?

Post by texas yankee »

Hi - I'm trying our some VPN software on my Chromebook (disabled now), and when I tried to connect to TexasCHLForum, I got a message about my IP address being banned - what's the problem with using a VPN ?? THANKS !!
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

bblhd672

Re: "Banned from site" when using a VPN ?

Post by bblhd672 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90610&hilit=banned

The thread above probably answers your question.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

When a virtual private network (VPN) connection is used on a device it typically connects to a pre configured VPN gateway and establishes an encrypted tunnel to that Network. VPN tunnels are typically used for remote cclients to connect to a private network over the internet. In other words you are connected to a network which subsequently blocks traffic to the CHL forum.
Workarounds are to disable the VPN client on you local device or to configure a split tunnel which will separate IP traffic designated to the VPN gateway and local resources including internet access.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Public VONs are commonly, used by the unscrupulous spammers, trolls and hackers. This is probably why it is blocked.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

bmwrdr wrote:When a virtual private network (VPN) connection is used on a device it typically connects to a pre configured VPN gateway and establishes an encrypted tunnel to that Network. VPN tunnels are typically used for remote cclients to connect to a private network over the internet. In other words you are connected to a network which subsequently blocks traffic to the CHL forum.
Some company networks use filters to block websites but It sounds like the forum banned his IP address not the other way around.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

ninjabread wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:When a virtual private network (VPN) connection is used on a device it typically connects to a pre configured VPN gateway and establishes an encrypted tunnel to that Network. VPN tunnels are typically used for remote cclients to connect to a private network over the internet. In other words you are connected to a network which subsequently blocks traffic to the CHL forum.
Some company networks use filters to block websites but It sounds like the forum banned his IP address not the other way around.
That would mean the companies IP address is blocked and not the address of his home network.
I'd set up a split tunnel configuration and don't worry about asking somebody to unblock a specific or range of IP address(es).
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”