past arrests

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bhut1313
Posts in topic: 1

past arrests

Post by bhut1313 »

I had a couple of past arrests for minor traffic related incidents many years ago. They were all resolved by deferred adjudication and or dismissal.
I don't remember exactly when these happened and any records i may have had are long since gone. Is this something i need to worry about when filling out my CHL paperwork?
Are there any reliable web sites for searching arrest records?
Im sure this is a common issue, Does anyone have any pointers?
thanks.

stealthfightrf17

Re: past arrests

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I would say that you best bet would be to put them on you CHL app and call the local records department where you were arrested and see if you can get a copy, if they tell you they can't then get something saying no record was found

Panda

Post by Panda »

You can get criminal records (or lack of records) from the county where you were arrested and driving records from DPS.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

bhut1313 wrote:I had a couple of past arrests for minor traffic related incidents many years ago. They were all resolved by deferred adjudication and or dismissal.
I don't remember exactly when these happened and any records i may have had are long since gone. Is this something i need to worry about when filling out my CHL paperwork?
thanks.
If you are talking about speeding or moving violations (other than a DWI), then they should be class C misdemeanors and you do not need to list them. If you were arrested, photographed and fingerprinted for them, then you do need to list them and as stated above, you can get the disposition on them from the court clerk in the county where they occurred.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

Keith B wrote:
bhut1313 wrote:I had a couple of past arrests for minor traffic related incidents many years ago. They were all resolved by deferred adjudication and or dismissal.
thanks.
If you are talking about speeding or moving violations (other than a DWI), then they should be class C misdemeanors and you do not need to list them. If you were arrested, photographed and fingerprinted for them, then you do need to list them and as stated above, you can get the disposition on them from the court clerk in the county where they occurred.
I've had clients come in to pull their own information via fingerprinting (but honestly it's expensive imho, I think around 47.95?) A cheaper option is to go through the FBi themselves..
For a FBI check on yourself, you can contact the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division Liaison office at (304) 625-5590 and choose the option to get a background check. The request should indicate why you are requesting the background check, along with a fingerprint card, if that option is selected, and a check in the amount of US $18, made payable to the US Treasury. The turnaround time is 20 to 30 days. Requests should be mailed to: FBI, CJIS Division, SCU - MOD D-2, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26303.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Keith B wrote:
thanks.
:iagree: There is your answer
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Crossfire wrote:
Keith B wrote:
thanks.
Yup. But that sure was worded vaguely...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

gigag04 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
Keith B wrote:
thanks.
Keith wasn't vague. It might not be what you wanted to hear? =/
If you got a ticket, you are probably fine. If you were arrested, you should list it. ie. if you were ever put into handcuffs by someone in a uniform who was not trying to have a romantic adult evening of roleplay, then you should probably list it.

jmra

Post by jmra »

MamaK wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
Keith B wrote:
thanks.
Keith wasn't vague. It might not be what you wanted to hear? =/
If you got a ticket, you are probably fine. If you were arrested, you should list it. ie. if you were ever put into handcuffs by someone in a uniform who was not trying to have a romantic adult evening of roleplay, then you should probably list it.
I have a feeling gigag knows the difference between a ticket and an arrest.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Didn't the courts rule that a traffic stop is an arrest?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

jmra

Post by jmra »

tbrown wrote:Didn't the courts rule that a traffic stop is an arrest?
Technically yes. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... cause.html

But we are discussing an arrest in the framework of declarations required as part of the CHL application. In that framework, a ticket and an arrest are two very different things.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

tbrown wrote:Didn't the courts rule that a traffic stop is an arrest?
It goes back to what I said earlier. If you were ever taken by police and photographed and fingerprinted for a violation, then you need to list it.

And MamaK, just being put in handcuffs is not enough. I have placed several individuals in cuffs during an altercation just until we figured out exactly who the ones causing the problem were, then release the ones who were not violators. Bar or party fights were real common scenarios where this would happen.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kbob54

Post by kbob54 »

So, on the basis of the conversation, a DUI/DWI counts as a significant event. And I understand the logic and reasoning. But is it significant enough to prevent issue of a CHL? I actually have 2 DUIs spread over 25 years, and neither one counted as a particularly proud moment in my life. I have cleaned up my act and am on the right path for over 10 years now.

Just asking, because I can carry in car (as described elsewhere), and that is generally enough. But like Dave Grossman says, when you walk out of your house unarmed, you might as well just say "Baaaaaa." After combat tours, I think I can handle this to protect my family (primary concern.)

Thanks,

kbob
:txflag:

pancho

Post by pancho »

kbob54 wrote:So, on the basis of the conversation, a DUI/DWI counts as a significant event. And I understand the logic and reasoning. But is it significant enough to prevent issue of a CHL? I actually have 2 DUIs spread over 25 years, and neither one counted as a particularly proud moment in my life. I have cleaned up my act and am on the right path for over 10 years now.
If you don't have any DWI or other Class A/B misdemeanors in the past ten years, you should be eligible unless one or more of the DWI convictions was a felony. That doesn't usually happen unless you kill or injure somebody, or had a child in the car while driving drunk. You will have to report the arrests on your application even if they're more than 10 years ago.
Last edited by pancho on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

My understanding has always been you didn't need to list traffic offences arrest or no. I certainly didn't bother with mine even if there was the slightest chance I could remember. I also didn't bother with the failure to appear violations that I got when I didn't show up for the tickets. Mind you that would of been 10-20 years ago but my app went thru just fine. YMMV

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”