Provide proof of current employment with TDCJ

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
whuggins
Posts in topic: 3

Provide proof of current employment with TDCJ

Post by whuggins »

I'm a correction officer for TDCJ and just applied for my CHL. With the new changes TDCJ Correction Officers now can get there CHL under the same area as Law Enforcement for $25.00. The requirement for showing proof of employment is not very clear. TDCJ senior personal says all we need is a copy of our TDCJ ID and a current TDCJ pay stub. I sent my package out to DPS and they received it 10/09/2013. Just check the status web site and they still haven't posted anything yet. Has anyone else found out if these are the right requirements or is there something different. Please advise if you only have heard from a reliable source. Thank you.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Provide proof of current employment with TDCJ

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum!

My wife emailed her package in as well as sending by regular mail. It was sometime during the end of September and it just change status yesterday. I believe LEO have to have a letter from their Chief stating that they are in good standing with the department. We have some active LEO's on the forum and sure they can answer your question if one of our CHL instructor's do not answer it first.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to the Forum. Whatever you upload to DPS needs to show that you are a corrections officer and not a TDCJ employee other than an officer. (The new lower fee does not apply to all TDCJ employees, but only to officers.)

Chas.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

whuggins wrote:I'm a correction officer for TDCJ and just applied for my CHL. With the new changes TDCJ Correction Officers now can get there CHL under the same area as Law Enforcement for $25.00. The requirement for showing proof of employment is not very clear. TDCJ senior personal says all we need is a copy of our TDCJ ID and a current TDCJ pay stub. I sent my package out to DPS and they received it 10/09/2013. Just check the status web site and they still haven't posted anything yet. Has anyone else found out if these are the right requirements or is there something different. Please advise if you only have heard from a reliable source. Thank you.

When you applied online it asks about the different exceptions i.e. officer. It will then tell you what you need to submit.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Your TDCJ Paycheck Stub should have your Job Title (Correctional Officer 1-5) on it, so you should be good to go.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

BewaffneteBürger

Post by BewaffneteBürger »

whuggins wrote:I'm a correction officer for TDCJ and just applied for my CHL. With the new changes TDCJ Correction Officers now can get there CHL under the same area as Law Enforcement for $25.00. The requirement for showing proof of employment is not very clear. TDCJ senior personal says all we need is a copy of our TDCJ ID and a current TDCJ pay stub. I sent my package out to DPS and they received it 10/09/2013. Just check the status web site and they still haven't posted anything yet. Has anyone else found out if these are the right requirements or is there something different. Please advise if you only have heard from a reliable source. Thank you.
Get with your HR and request a "Verification of Employment," DPS will accept this. If I am not mistaken, by policy, all VOE's should be going through Huntsville. I believe the employee in charge of this in Huntsville is Ms. Caroline Herring..

Topic author
whuggins

Post by whuggins »

Now this is what I have been looking for.
No one at our Unit seems to know what is going on, even up to the wardens.
Training was the ones that said pay stub and scan a copy of the ID.
My argument with them is none of this shows that we are correction officers.
They said they got this from Huntsville. I had a feeling this was all a bunch of bull.
I told them and HR here I was going to call Huntsville and they all panicked.
You would think they would have been prepared for this.
I know just about every other officer was going to apply.
This has seemed to be the biggest secret of the year with TDCJ. :banghead:

Topic author
whuggins

Post by whuggins »

BewaffneteBürger Your right and everyone follow this as he stated, Thank you.
Get with your HR and request a "Verification of Employment," DPS will accept this. If I am not mistaken, by policy, all VOE's should be going through Huntsville. I believe the employee in charge of this in Huntsville is Ms. Caroline Herring..

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”