Quick sequence of events question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
poppo
Posts in topic: 3

Quick sequence of events question

Post by poppo »

I'm sure the answer is buried here somewhere, but let me ask anyway. I've had my CHL for quite some time (before all of this on-line stuff), but my wife has just applied for hers. So far she has:
1. completed online application
2. had fingerprints done at Fast (or whatever it's called now)
3. Has relatively current drivers license photo

It seems that all she needs is the CHL class and CHL-100. Is that correct?
Also, it's been about 2 weeks since she did the on-line application and all it says is "Application processed on-line. CHL processing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once requested materials are received, more information will be available" (or something to that effect). So at what point will she see the on-line check list thing? Shouldn't the background check be started once the application has been submitted on-line? Or does nothing start to get processed until she sends in the CHL-100?
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Quick sequence of events question

Post by infoman »

Yes, you must send the CHL-100 before anything happens. And it's a very long wait to see a status change online. once DPS gets the CHL-100 you will still see that same status for well over a month. They don't do anything until you first send in your class document.

Topic author
poppo

Post by poppo »

infoman wrote:Yes, you must send the CHL-100 before anything happens.
Well that sucks. She won't be able to take the class until after the new year. I'm not sure that I see the logic of them waiting for the easiest part that has nothing to do with the background check that was already paid for.

infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infoman »

It's actually very logical in a way.. there's 100's if not thousands of people who pay online yet forget or never take the class & send their stuff in. it's wasteful to process background checks or "approve" someone that never turns their documents in.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

poppo wrote:
infoman wrote:Yes, you must send the CHL-100 before anything happens.
Well that sucks. She won't be able to take the class until after the new year. I'm not sure that I see the logic of them waiting for the easiest part that has nothing to do with the background check that was already paid for.
The paperwork must be complete before they start working on it. That's not unusual for the private sector, much less a government agency.

Topic author
poppo

Post by poppo »

infoman wrote:It's actually very logical in a way.. there's 100's if not thousands of people who pay online yet forget or never take the class & send their stuff in. it's wasteful to process background checks or "approve" someone that never turns their documents in.
If they never send it in, then they are out the money they paid for the application. Then the State or whoever just gets to keep the money without completing what was already paid for. It would only be wasteful if something was done before it was paid for.
bizarrenormality wrote:The paperwork must be complete before they start working on it. That's not unusual for the private sector, much less a government agency.
The point is the CHL-100 has nothing to do with completing (or starting) a background check. I could see needing to wait on the fingerprints (which are already done), but not the class.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”