Military App Wrong DD214 ????

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jwitt
Posts in topic: 3

Military App Wrong DD214 ????

Post by jwitt »

I submitted my paperwork back in October. Just before Christmas I received the letter in the mail that said I needed a form that showed my Discharge status as honorable. As far as I know I was Honorably discharged, but the DD214 that I currently have states there is "no discharge certificate issued at time of separation". What does that mean and where do I get the right papers?
:patriot:
thanks
Jay

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Military App Wrong DD214 ????

Post by jmra »

Welcome to the forum. Did a little surfing and found this.
"Release from Active Duty. In the case of a Coast Guard Reservist who is released from active duty and continues to hold status as a member of the Coast Guard Reserve on inactive duty, and a Regular Coast Guard enlisted member who is released from active duty and concurrently transferred to the Coast Guard Reserve, enter the statement: "NO DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED AT TIME OF SEPARATION."

Does this fit your situation?

If not, I know my DD214 had two pages. One had the type of discharge listed and the other did not. You may have sent the wrong one.

This is from the DPS website
Verification of Veteran and Discharge Status
...must show that the veteran received an honorable discharge or a general discharge (under honorable conditions)

Looks like you can order another copy from here:
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... index.html
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

...what he said...lol

Seriously though...I ran into the same thing. Call the number for the CHL license office and they will give you a fax number. I copied my discharge certificate (the one you frame and put on the wall) and that did the trick.

As for the other pages to your 214, goto the link above that jmra posted. The whole process is online EXCEPT at the end, you will have to print a form to sign and fax it to the number they give you. You will have your paperwork in about two weeks from my experience.

Hope we have been some help.

Semper Fidelis,
Lee
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

infoman

Post by infoman »

Easy- you need the "Member-4 Copy DD-214"

Topic author
jwitt

Post by jwitt »

thanks for the help every one

also thanks Lee i will let you how it turns out.

Jay

Topic author
jwitt

Post by jwitt »

jmra wrote:Welcome to the forum. Did a little surfing and found this.
"Release from Active Duty. In the case of a Coast Guard Reservist who is released from active duty and continues to hold status as a member of the Coast Guard Reserve on inactive duty, and a Regular Coast Guard enlisted member who is released from active duty and concurrently transferred to the Coast Guard Reserve, enter the statement: "NO DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED AT TIME OF SEPARATION."

Does this fit your situation?

If not, I know my DD214 had two pages. One had the type of discharge listed and the other did not. You may have sent the wrong one.

This is from the DPS website
Verification of Veteran and Discharge Status
...must show that the veteran received an honorable discharge or a general discharge (under honorable conditions)

Looks like you can order another copy from here:
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... index.html
thanks
it looks like i only have the copy that does not have it. I contacted the National Archives and they did not have my records. I got a certifed copy from my old station and sent that in. I hope that works. It says "honorable" on it so maybe thats all they need.

Jay

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

infoman wrote:Easy- you need the "Member-4 Copy DD-214"
Yes! And you can print it out yourself on http://www.ebenefits.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you are not enrolled in it, then you need to be ASAP if you have separated or retired. Lots of good info. On that site! ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

CHLLady wrote:
infoman wrote:Easy- you need the "Member-4 Copy DD-214"
Yes! And you can print it out yourself on http://www.ebenefits.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you are not enrolled in it, then you need to be ASAP if you have separated or retired. Lots of good info. On that site! ;-)
Depends...my DD214 was typed on a typwriter using carbon copies...lol. My records are not in those elctronic databases. I tried to get college credit for my military training a while back and couldn't because it wasn't accessible to them on a website...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”