CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasVet
Posts in topic: 3

Question about range qualification

Post by TexasVet »

Hi All,

I searched for an answer to this, but could not find it, if I missed it please let me know. My questions is in regards to qualifying while pregnant. I have read on here about lead exposure, which should me minimal with 50 rounds and can wear a mask. My concern is more over sound - if we find a class that qualifies outdoors I know it will be better, but I wanted to know if there were other precautions that can be taken ? I was thinking about asking a friend to come with and allow us to use his suppressor and have my wife do her qualification alone with no other people on the line causing extra noise. I have read that one cannot use devices to help aim (such as lasers), but have not heard about suppressors. I scanned through the DPS CHL packet and could not find an answer. Also if you cannot use a laser, can you use a red dot - like a S&W M&P core with a Trijicon or other micro red dot ?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Question about range qualification

Post by jbarn »

TexasVet wrote:Hi All,

I searched for an answer to this, but could not find it, if I missed it please let me know. My questions is in regards to qualifying while pregnant. I have read on here about lead exposure, which should me minimal with 50 rounds and can wear a mask. My concern is more over sound - if we find a class that qualifies outdoors I know it will be better, but I wanted to know if there were other precautions that can be taken ? I was thinking about asking a friend to come with and allow us to use his suppressor and have my wife do her qualification alone with no other people on the line causing extra noise. I have read that one cannot use devices to help aim (such as lasers), but have not heard about suppressors. I scanned through the DPS CHL packet and could not find an answer. Also if you cannot use a laser, can you use a red dot - like a S&W M&P core with a Trijicon or other micro red dot ?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I would consult my physician regarding the dangers of shooting while pregnant. Personally, since it is a very temporary condition I would not want any of my family to gualify while pregnant.

Optical enhancing devices are not permitted during the shooting test. That includes lasers, red dots and the like.

Congratulations, dad, and best wishes to mom.

Regarding suppressors, there is no restriction against their use.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

Thanks for the quick answer. Still debating on taking the class and having her get her Texas CHL and do the qual with a suppressor if I can get a friend to help out, or have her do a non-resident license (like FL). If not then it's waiting almost another 6-8 months before it's an option again..

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TexasVet wrote:Thanks for the quick answer. Still debating on taking the class and having her get her Texas CHL and do the qual with a suppressor if I can get a friend to help out, or have her do a non-resident license (like FL). If not then it's waiting almost another 6-8 months before it's an option again..
Regarding the safety of your unborn, it seems like no time at all to me. ;)

What does her OB/Gyn say?
Texas CHL Instructor

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

TexasVet wrote:Thanks for the quick answer. Still debating on taking the class and having her get her Texas CHL and do the qual with a suppressor if I can get a friend to help out, or have her do a non-resident license (like FL). If not then it's waiting almost another 6-8 months before it's an option again..
Even with a suppressor, unless you can get the instructor to have your wife shoot by herself I would be more concerned about the other shooters in the class.
NRA Endowment Member

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Yeah your wife needs both eye and ear/hearing protection for sure.

As for proficiency, I was surprised to realize that in my class everyone had passed before we even moved-back to the 15 yard stage. It really is easy IMO.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Yeah your wife needs both eye and ear/hearing protection for sure.

As for proficiency, I was surprised to realize that in my class everyone had passed before we even moved-back to the 15 yard stage. It really is easy IMO.
I din't think he was contemplating not having his wear wear eye and ear protection. :confused5
Texas CHL Instructor

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jbarn wrote:I din't think he was contemplating not having his wear wear eye and ear protection. :confused5
Maybe I mis-read, but I thought he mentioned "sound" concerns and "suppressors"--why would you need a suppressor if you have proper hearing protection? Particularly as others in the class will not be suppressed?

:confused5

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Extremely loud sounds are an issue for a pregnant mother. Sounnd will travel to the unborn baby though the fluids in the uterus. Ultra loud noises or prolonged exposure could pose a risk to the baby's hearing.
http://www.onlymyhealth.com/can-loud-no ... 1353153877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Keith B wrote:Extremely loud sounds are an issue for a pregnant mother.
Duh, of course, silly me, I completely missed that key point!

:banghead:

Never been a pregnant mother, nor have I been responsible for one. ;-)

If it were my wife I would insist she wait until the baby was born...

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasCajun »

Keith B wrote:Extremely loud sounds are an issue for a pregnant mother. Sounnd will travel to the unborn baby though the fluids in the uterus. Ultra loud noises or prolonged exposure could pose a risk to the baby's hearing.
http://www.onlymyhealth.com/can-loud-no ... 1353153877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The section under that one says that the mother's body & amniotic fluid would protect the baby's hearing. So basically, the jury's out.

When my wife was pregnant, we debated going to the Spring Nationals (pro drag racing) in Baytown. Based on several internet searches, we couldn't find a definitive reason not to go. Most convincing was the experiment that several expectant mothers performed while debating the same thing - they filled a bath tub with water and ducked under before playing really loud music or making really loud noise. All of the ones that tried this said that they could hear the noise, but it wasn't unpleasant by any means. Even the sudden loud noise of turning a radio on with the volume turned all the way up. Some did say that they experienced a higher level of activity during the races, but our guy basically slept through the whole thing.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TexasCajun wrote:
Keith B wrote:Extremely loud sounds are an issue for a pregnant mother. Sounnd will travel to the unborn baby though the fluids in the uterus. Ultra loud noises or prolonged exposure could pose a risk to the baby's hearing.
The section under that one says that the mother's body & amniotic fluid would protect the baby's hearing. So basically, the jury's out.

When my wife was pregnant, we debated going to the Spring Nationals (pro drag racing) in Baytown. Based on several internet searches, we couldn't find a definitive reason not to go. Most convincing was the experiment that several expectant mothers performed while debating the same thing - they filled a bath tub with water and ducked under before playing really loud music or making really loud noise. All of the ones that tried this said that they could hear the noise, but it wasn't unpleasant by any means. Even the sudden loud noise of turning a radio on with the volume turned all the way up. Some did say that they experienced a higher level of activity during the races, but our guy basically slept through the whole thing.
This "experiment" does not duplicate the effect of sound on an unborn baby. First of all, music has a different range of frequencies and amplitude than gun shots. Second of all adult ears are not the same as a human fetus. Third long exposure to sounds isn't necessary to damage hearing, damage can come from one event. Fourth what do you lose by waiting ... if the jury is out, why take chances?
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

Yes, read this part of the article:
This "experiment" does not duplicate the effect of sound on an unborn baby. First of all, music has a different range of frequencies and amplitude than gun shots. Second of all adult ears are not the same as a human fetus. Third ... if the jury is out, why take chances?
Read the part about short exposure to 150 - 155 for short spans of time can be damaging. I know when my wife was expecting we went to a Randy Travis concert. The sound level was NOT loud at all. When Steve Warner opened up the show the baby started dancing and danced every song they played. :lol: My wife was worn out by the time the concert was over. However, the daughter still loves country music today! :hurry: :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

TexasCajun wrote:

I was a sonar technician in the Navy.

When someone sticks their head underwater there is still air in the outer ear canal. The sound will not pass the water/air barrier very well and be detected by the eardrum. Also, in the example above their "loud music" did not transmit from the air to the water.

In the subarines we could hear the ASW airceraft pass over on our sonars but the sound was amplified many times.

Sound travels faster and farther in water than in air, approximately 7 times faster. Whales communicate over distances in the order of hundreds if not thousands of miles by using the deep sound channel. The deep sound channel is a result of a combination of water temperature, salinity, and pressure that creates a sound pipeline that allows the sound to travel long distances. The speed of sound in water increases with depth, colder temperatures, and increased salinity. We used this phenomena all the time to track the soviets over immense distances.

I do not have any idea about how much sound from shooting would affect the fetus, but a lot of the sound from fuel dragsters can enter a spectator's body. Having been a long time drag racing fan, I can attest to the sound pressure level of a top fuel engine and the feel in my body of the noise when they launch.

In my opinion, why risk it?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:Read the part about short exposure to 150 - 155 for short spans of time can be damaging. I know when my wife was expecting we went to a Randy Travis concert. The sound level was NOT loud at all. When Steve Warner opened up the show the baby started dancing and danced every song they played. :lol: My wife was worn out by the time the concert was over. However, the daughter still loves country music today! :hurry: :mrgreen:
Talk about thread drift. For some of you old folks, I read a story about an ancient singer named Neil Sedaka. When his wife was pregnant he sang to his baby every day. He said that he didn't care if he had a son or daughter as long as his firstborn had perfect pitch. His daughter Dara was born with "extraordinary musical abilities," according to her father. "She had had nine months of training," says Neil. "I used to sing to her mother's belly."

As jbarn said:
jbarn wrote:Regarding the safety of your unborn, it seems like no time at all to me. ;)
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”