CHL Office asking for work information

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Office asking for work information

Post by pcgizzmo »

I just changed my address at the Texas CHL site and they are asking for work information as a mandatory entry. What could they want with that? I don't like having to provide more information than I have to. Are they going to add a little bit of info each year until we have to give them the serial # of our firearms?

LabRat
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL Office asking for work information

Post by LabRat »

pcgizzmo wrote:I just changed my address at the Texas CHL site and they are asking for work information as a mandatory entry. What could they want with that? I don't like having to provide more information than I have to. Are they going to add a little bit of info each year until we have to give them the serial # of our firearms?
Same thing my son ran into about a year or so ago.
He decided to use the paper form CHL-70.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-70.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No work information requested there. New license back in about 10 days.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

LabRat,

Work information as in the name of the company that employs you?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

1. Why is that relevant to needing a CHL? What if you leave it blank or put "independent" ?
2. Why is it online and not paper?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I don't see how this particular bit of info request (wait, it's not a request if it's mandatory...) is germane to one's CHL.

What would they gain knowing I'm retired?

Will they be satisfied with that or would they push to know where I retired from or ...?

Or, is this some bean counters idea for statistical use?

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Abraham wrote:LabRat,

Work information as in the name of the company that employs you?
Yes. I didn't actually see the on-line change of address form, but my son said they wanted to know who he worked for and, I believe, his work address. I don't know what they would do with that information, but it seems unneeded.

The CHL-70 form is not the same as the on-line, so my son when that way to get his address changed on the license.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

OCH

Post by OCH »

Work address is as relevant as home address. Maybe they should get rid of both requirements but at least they don't ask for SSN anymore. If hunting licenses follow suit maybe I will finally buy one again.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”