What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

S397 Passed the House - On to the President

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

S397 passed the House and will be on the way to President Bush for his promised signature. It will shield gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers from frivolous lawsuits.

Here is a quote from the Brady Campaign web site:
Brady Campaign wrote:The NRA has been pushing this bill for seven years, and, thanks to your efforts, it has never been able to get it through Congress. But now gun lobby extremists are in control, and they are on the verge of heaping this atrocity on our nation. We cannot let this outrage go quietly, we need to voice our anger. The more opposition we show now, the better our chances of undoing this travesty in the future. Our nation has always expanded rights and justice, and one day we will reverse this abomination.

We must not let the NRA take civil rights away from American citizens, and give unprecedented legal protection to million-dollar gun corporations.

The NRA is getting cocky. They rammed this bill through the Senate with no hearings and very limited debate. And now, with so many other crucial issues on its agenda, the House has instead decided to payback the NRA with a "closed" floor vote tomorrow -- with no amendments and no real debate.

As the New York Times editorialized this morning,
"With all the critical issues on the national agenda, from the Iraq war to hurricane recovery, the House's eagerness is obscene as the gun lobby herds lawmakers from both parties behind a bill to deny victimized families their fair day in court."

Chas.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Reading that quote makes me wonder if they're even from this planet.

Coming up next on the Blame Game, beer bottlers get sued over drunk driving death.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

HighVelocity wrote:Reading that quote makes me wonder if they're even from this planet.

Coming up next on the Blame Game, beer bottlers get sued over drunk driving death.
+1

It sounds like some of the sarcastic posts that we put up in jest sometimes....its so bazare.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Logic and common sense have never been part of the anti-2A crowd. So-called "sensible" gun control laws just add up to total confiscation. Such groups deny an "agenda", whether it be the anti-gun or what. No written agenda, maybe, but we know what they want.

My agenda - literal application of the Second Ammendment. Not interpretation, application.

There. I wrote it down. No hidden agenda here!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You know I've been thinking about all this gun-control stuff...Obviously I dissagree with all of it...

But seeing whats been going on lately...They (democrats) are really losing steam on this issue...Almost dropping it like a hot potato...

Does this mean we've won the war??? No...

I think we've won the battle...The war is still on...They have just disengaged and will seek to re-engage when the time is right...

With a few of their big Brady-Bunch lobby-ist quitting, they certainly are looking for replacement(s)...

And with a big supporter like Tom DeLay being raked over the coals...We need to make sure, regardless of how we feel about certain things in those organizations like the NRA, GOA, TSRA and any other "A" organization, they need to know we are still united to win future battles...

I hate to seem like I'm beating the drum of :roll: ...But I think alot of us see this as well...

And legislation like this has its supporters and its detractors...And people who are cautiously supportive, yet may not see all the bells and whistles that are attached to things like this...

Thats when you got to knuckle down and study it for yourself, get inside and shake it around to see what falls out, before you jump on board blindly, or throw it out because there's something in there that bothers you...

I'm not as nieve as some may think I am...I actually go out of my way to try to find something about it that I don't like...And in this one I have not seen anything that jumps out to try and bite me (us)...

Anyway...Long on the soapbox again...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gigag04 wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:Reading that quote makes me wonder if they're even from this planet.

+1

It sounds like some of the sarcastic posts that we put up in jest sometimes....its so bazare.
In their conveluted logic, anyone who owns a gun is bazzarre...

I'm glad to be in good company then...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Our nation has always expanded rights and justice, and one day we will reverse this abomination.
This sums up thier position nicely.

I gues I'm just to naive to understand fear of an object.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

"We must not let the NRA take civil rights away from American citizens, and give unprecedented legal protection to million-dollar gun corporations. "

And who's rights are the Brady Campaign as a whole trying to remove? And this sounds a lot like the old song and dance line of " their rich so they need to be punished." that I hear. Logic makes little sense to some people.

I believe they are Multi-million dollar corporations because they are providing a product that is in great demand. Nice to see it getting this far. Lets hope it goes all the way.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Federal”