IACP Asks For Return Of Assualt Weapons Ban

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 1

IACP Asks For Return Of Assualt Weapons Ban

Post by CHL/LEO »

Just ran across this news story. In my humble opinion, if a democratic President gets elected, and the House & Senate stay democratic, then we will probably see weapons type bans at a level we've never seen before. I can also see them attacking gun shows and private sales. Just my opinion but when you have the IACP asking for this then it will be real easy for them (our government) to say we need this legislation to help our LEOs who asked for it.

Miami-Dade Officer Jose Somohano was shot and killed with a Mak-90 assault rifle three years to the day after the federal law prohibiting the sale of such weapons expired.

The International Association of Chiefs of Police issued a report at noon Wednesday calling for, among other things, a renewal of the ban, arguing that it helps keep police officers safe by reducing the ``firepower available to criminals.''

The report hits home for South Florida law enforcement officers, who have been facing an increasing number of these guns on the street since the ban expired. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez, a former police officer and police director, can't hide his anger when he talks about the fact that lawmakers let the ban expire.

''While I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment, I don't think that our founding fathers had AK-47s in mind,'' he said. ``There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street.''

His voice rising, he brings up Shawn LaBeet, the man who killed Somohano: ``This guy just went to a gun store with a fake ID and bought one.''

LaBeet bought nine guns in the past year, including the semiautomatic Mak-90, which is similar to an AK-47. The gun was covered under the assault weapons ban and was illegal to sell for 10 years until September 2004.

''It's one thing to talk philosophically about the right to bear arms and it's another to see what these assault rifles can do,'' Alvarez said.

Local police say the numbers of murders committed with assault weapons has been steadily rising since the ban expired on Sept. 13, 2004.

In the city of Miami, 20 percent of murders this year were committed with assault weapons, up from 4 percent in 2004.

Local law enforcement say there is little they can do besides ramp up their own arsenals. They're looking to Congress for an answer.

''This is not a local issue. It has local implications, obviously. A police officer was just killed here,'' said Miami Police Chief John Timoney, an ardent gun control advocate. ``The resolution of this is in the nation's capital. But there's no appetite to address that.''

Timoney recently decided to allow his officers to carry assault rifles. Miami-Dade police have plans to do the same, Alvarez said. And last year, the Broward Sheriff's Office allowed deputies to carry them.

''I would think that for all the departments to start changing their viewpoints on allowing officers to carry assault weapons tells you there are more of those out there,'' said Dick Brickman, president of the Broward Police Benevolent Association. ``What's the purpose of assault rifles? As far as we're concerned, an assault rifle is only going to hurt people.''

U.S. Rep. Ron Klein, D-Boca Raton, said he supports a new assault weapon ban and thinks there is pretty widespread support in Congress on the issue.

''It should be renewed. I think the majority of members of Congress would support it,'' he said. ``The president, in a very lukewarm way, has indicated that he would sign it but I'm not sure he really would.''

Klein said he thinks the tide is changing in public opinion, too.

''It doesn't take another law enforcement officer to be killed by assault weapons to persuade people that banning them is just common sense,'' he said.

A bill to renew the ban was introduced in Congress this year, but has not made it out of committee yet.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

barres

Post by barres »

Of course the numbers are rising! When the baseline is practically zero murders with "assault weapons," there is no place to go but up!

Man, this stuff chaps my hide. :mad5
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

''While I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment, I don't think that our founding fathers had AK-47s in mind,'' he said. ``There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street.''

Ohhhh, I want to say something so bad it hurts... :evil:

And the funny thing is that it has nothing to do with guns...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous...boom...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Will938

Post by Will938 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:''While I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment, I don't think that our founding fathers had AK-47s in mind,'' he said. ``There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street.''

Ohhhh, I want to say something so bad it hurts... :evil:

And the funny thing is that it has nothing to do with guns...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous...boom...
When I hear stuff like that I always think, "Well they had cannons, explosives, and ships of war; I didn't see any exclusions for those."

Return to “Federal”