Posts in topic: 3

unpleasant news on huckabee

Post by lawrnk »

Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that story is probably not "Chuck Approved".
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

Yeah, but not only is he weak on criminals, I belong to a group called NumbersUSA. Huckabee is listed as a "disaster" regarding he has a bad rep on immigration, REALLY bad.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbc ... 00094/1001
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I happen to know of one pardon personally. A friends nephew was unjustly prosecuted for negligent vehicular homicde and sentenced to 4 years in the state prison.

The story was he had gotten off of work, and bumped into a friend who happened to have some homemade 'shine'. He did take a couple of drinks. He got back in his truck and headed down a side street.

A couple of blocks down, the stop sign was obscured by some tree limbs and he didn't see it. He hit another car in the drivers door as they met in the intersection. The couple in the car were in their 70's. The husband who was driving was uninjured, but his wife bumped her knee on the door. This was a knee that has recently had some surgery.

28 days later the wife died from an infection in the knee. The prosecutor trumped up the charges against him as manslaughter. The public defender he was assigned was a push-over and convinced him to take a plea of guilty to a lesser charge of vehicular homicide since he had been drinking, telling him he would probably get probation. The judege sentenced him to 4 years. No previous record of any kind.

Anyway, it took a lot of talking, but the family was finally able to get Huckabee's office to push it to him and he reviewed it and the guy got a pardon, but that was after 2 1/2 years.

Having grown up close to Arkansas, there are a lot of these types of trumped up 'good ole boy' types of cases that happen to get people put away for a lot more than they deserve. If half of the cases pardoned were anything like the case I am familiar with, then they deserved to be released.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

Keith B wrote:I happen to know of one pardon personally. A friends nephew was unjustly prosecuted for negligent vehicular homicde and sentenced to 4 years in the state prison.

The story was he had gotten off of work, and bumped into a friend who happened to have some homemade 'shine'. He did take a couple of drinks. He got back in his truck and headed down a side street.

A couple of blocks down, the stop sign was obscured by some tree limbs and he didn't see it. He hit another car in the drivers door as they met in the intersection. The couple in the car were in their 70's. The husband who was driving was uninjured, but his wife bumped her knee on the door. This was a knee that has recently had some surgery.

28 days later the wife died from an infection in the knee. The prosecutor trumped up the charges against him as manslaughter. The public defender he was assigned was a push-over and convinced him to take a plea of guilty to a lesser charge of vehicular homicide since he had been drinking, telling him he would probably get probation. The judege sentenced him to 4 years. No previous record of any kind.

Anyway, it took a lot of talking, but the family was finally able to get Huckabee's office to push it to him and he reviewed it and the guy got a pardon, but that was after 2 1/2 years.

Having grown up close to Arkansas, there are a lot of these types of trumped up 'good ole boy' types of cases that happen to get people put away for a lot more than they deserve. If half of the cases pardoned were anything like the case I am familiar with, then they deserved to be released.
Eh, that is generally what a pardoned case "should" be. I can tell you that the vast majority of the sentences he overturned were not like your buddies.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Well this may actually spell well for Ramos and Compeon, our Border Patrol agents who have been dragged through the muck and sentenced to ten/eleven years in prison for picking up brass after they shot a drug trafficker in the gluteous maximus...

Since it doesn't appear that our current administration wants to make this right, Huckabee might just take care of this after January 2009...

No! I have not been consuming adult beverages this evening!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Federal”