H.R. 3663 - would prohibit hunting on a day when you fly!

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

H.R. 3663 - would prohibit hunting on a day when you fly!

Post by seamusTX »

H.R. 3663 -- The "Protect America’s Wildlife (PAW) Act" -- introduced by Rep. George Miller (D-CA) would prohibit hunting on the same day that you fly in an aircraft other than a regularly scheduled commercial flight.

You can find the bill on http://thomas.loc.gov. I don't know how to provide a permanent link to it.

If adopted, it would modify 16 USC Sec. 742j-1(a) to read as follows:
Any person who -

(1) while airborne in an aircraft shoots or attempts to shoot for the purpose of capturing or killing any bird, fish, or other animal;

(2) uses an aircraft to harass any bird, fish, or other animal;

(3) shoots or attempts to shoot any bird, fish, or other animal before 3:00 a.m. following a day on which the person has traveled by aircraft other than on a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft;

(4) knowingly participates in using an aircraft for any purpose referred to in paragraph (1), (2), or (3); or

(5) knowingly violates any regulation issued under this Act;

shall be fined not more than $50,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
This bill was introduced in September 2007 and is in the Committee on Natural Resources. It has 111 cosponsors.

Here's the Congressman's version of the story: http://georgemiller.house.gov/news/2007 ... _life.html

I can't believe we didn't hear about this earlier.

- Jim

locknload
Posts in topic: 1

Re: H.R. 3663 - would prohibit hunting on a day when you fly!

Post by locknload »

Though I've never shot a gun from an aircraft in flight and cannot for the life of me think of why one would want to do so, what is the point of this Bill and when is it coming up? There has to be some ulterior motive in the wording that covers something that isn't in the title of the Bill. This looks suspiciously like a stealth or Trojan Horse Bill. Any ideas? :headscratch

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

locknload wrote:This looks suspiciously like a stealth or Trojan Horse Bill. Any ideas? :headscratch
Actually, this is a safe hunting bill. They want to make sure that people are completely rested after a long day of flying before they go out the next day to hunt. :cool:

This is a bill to control some aspects of big game hunting. Some hunters will hire a pilot to fly around an area to spot some game, particularly big trophies, and then land and take the game. Putting a time limit between flying and hunting would allow the game to move to a different area. I believe that some states already prohibit this type of activity.

Edited: Alaska has the same restrictions as this bill.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

WildBill wrote: I believe that some states already prohibit this type of activity.
This begs the question why not just ban hunting from aircraft?

John
NRA lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

KC5AV wrote:
WildBill wrote: I believe that some states already prohibit this type of activity.
This begs the question why not just ban hunting from aircraft?John
Some people think that spotting game from an airplane and then landing close by to shoot them is not sporting and should be outlawed as well.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Hunting from aircraft has been prohibited at the federal level for decades.

This bill would make it illegal to fly your private plane to your private property and hunt the same day (assuming you were in a position to do so). That may be an unintended consequence. We all know how those work.

- Jim

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

WildBill wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
This begs the question why not just ban hunting from aircraft?John
Some people think that spotting game from an airplane and then landing close by to shoot them is not sporting and should be outlawed as well.
That's fine, but it took me 2 seconds to think of a way around this law.

Hire an outfitter to fly around an area where you are. You got there by ATV, snowmobile, sled, whatever, anything but an airplane. The guy in the plane tells you via 2 way radio where the game is and the stalking begins.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:That's fine, but it took me 2 seconds to think of a way around this law.
They're already two steps ahead of you Frankie! At least in Alaska. They forbid the use of "communication equipment" in the taking of game, or to aid in the taking of game. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

I don't hunt, but it seems one should locate the hunted via the ground. Just my uninformed opinion regarding it being sporting.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

While hunting in South Texas near Freer I shot wild feral pigs from a helicopter. It was a hoot then, I'd do it today, and I see nothing wrong with it. Banning all hunting from aircraft is a stupid infringement.

The reasonable restrictions will get you every time.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

lawrnk wrote:I don't hunt, but it seems one should locate the hunted via the ground. Just my uninformed opinion regarding it being sporting.
Here's the problem: You don't like people hunting from aircraft. The next guy doesn't like hunting with semi-automatic rifles. The next wants you to use a shotgun. Then it's bows and arrows. Finally, there are people who want hunting to be a capital offense.

Where do you stop on the slippery slope?

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Trying to actively hunt anything from a light airplane is a good way to crash and die. There are more than a few plane crashes that occurred just that way. Both the shooter and the pilot were watching the coyote (or whatever) while the pilot flew into the ground.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

LarryH wrote:Trying to actively hunt anything from a light airplane is a good way to crash and die. There are more than a few plane crashes that occurred just that way. Both the shooter and the pilot were watching the coyote (or whatever) while the pilot flew into the ground.
Why waste time on legislation. It sounds like a self correcting problem.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Return to “Federal”