Obama

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Frost
Posts in topic: 1

Obama

Post by Frost »

The two party system in this country forces many unpleasant decisions upon its citizens. In my case my disgust with the republican party, the fact that the republican primary race is moot, and the extreme undesirableness of a candidate on the democratic side is leading me to believe that a vote for Obama in the primary is in my best interest. This means voting for someone who in the past has expressed a desire for federal legislation to prevent CHL holders from other states from "threatening" his constituents. Whatever the hell that means.

The most recent quotes i can find are related to Virginia tech:

"(Cho) had a semiautomatic weapon with a clip that allowed him to take 19 shots in a row,� Obama said. “I don’t know any self-respecting hunter that needs 19 rounds of anything. The only reason you have 19 rounds is potentially to do physical harm to people. You don’t shoot 19 rounds at a deer. And if you do, you shouldn’t be hunting."

This quote and material from his website (PDF) make it abundantly clear that his 2nd amendment reads 'the right of the people to hunt and shoot targets shall not be infringed' and apparently the word semiautomatic is really scary.

I really, really, really hate this two party system. We desperately need instant runoff, approval, condorcet or anything but this winner-take-all system dominated by two political parties. :mad5
It can happen here.

Hyunchback

Re: Obama

Post by Hyunchback »

I'm not sure that our system of government is the cause of the disease.

I'm relatively certain that our system of mass media IS to blame.

It was not even 100 years ago when 'third' parties were not totally marginalized entities.

Look at the way the media covered Fred Thompson's campaign. There were outright lies told about his appearances.

The mainstream media set the ground rules about who goes to debates and what questions get asked. They choose the studio audience. They control what actually gets to the airwaves and they control the 'sound bites' that get replayed after the debates to people who didn't watch.

The reason we keep being presented with a choice of lesser evils (the left often feels the same way) is that the choices weren't made by voters who had full information. They were presented with packages selected by a small number of influential people.

There is no one ethnicity or race involved in this choice. The choices, however, are normally filtered to eliminate anyone too conservative. Anyone who is a true Constitutionalist is eliminated as an 'extremist'.

That's how we get candidates who are 'conservative' who want to grant amnesty to millions of criminals and we get 'liberals' who sign onto welfare reform. Both candidates will be anti-gun. Just that some will be more anti-gun than others.

George W. Bush has not been our friend. He just is not an open and avowed enemy. NOT pressing to renew the AWB is not acting on our behalf. It's not caring to kick us in the teeth like his father did.

Bill Clinton and his wife, of course, were worse, but we never had a true supporter of the Constitution running at the top of the ticket. The real choices had been eliminated not by our government or Constitution but by the media. Neither elected nor subject to checks and balances.

That's my rant. Your mileage may vary.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

I think our elected representative form of government is to a large degree the problem. It started to be a problem once The People started going on about their bidness and ignored their state capitols and DC.

I would rather vote on each proposal/amendment/law myself than trust someone else's set of values, I don't care how much he promises to be elected.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

anygunanywhere wrote:I think our elected representative form of government is to a large degree the problem. It started to be a problem once The People started going on about their bidness and ignored their state capitols and DC.

I would rather vote on each proposal/amendment/law myself than trust someone else's set of values, I don't care how much he promises to be elected.

Anygun
The amount of money and time that they are spending on the Roger Clemens / performance enhancing drugs in sports issue makes me sick. And Spygate is next on their list. Why don't they spend thier time doing something productive for the country. They don't really work for thier constituents at all, it's amazing.

At the same time I have to say that we have the best system in the free world, but that doesn't mean that we can't make it better.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

ScubaSigGuy wrote: At the same time I have to say that we have the best system in the free world, but that doesn't mean that we can't make it better.
Once the millions who are feeding at the entitlement trough exceeds 51% of the voting populace we will never change anything.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

It won't get better until it gets bad enough for Atlas to shrug.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

"Direct democracy", "instant voting", etc. would be a disaster. Look at how public opinion sways back and forth in response to whatever the current media drumbeat happens to be.

Representative government isn't perfect, but it's a lot better.

To anyone who thinks some kind of instant referendum system would produce the limited Constitutionalist type of government that many of us would like to see, just look at Ron Paul's numbers.

The reality is that "our" side would be on the wrong end of a bunch of 90 - 10 votes.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

boomerang wrote:It won't get better until it gets bad enough for Atlas to shrug.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Return to “Federal”