Global Poverty Act

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Global Poverty Act

Post by Kalrog »

Has anyone heard of this one? Or called about it? http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2433

My understanding is that it would direct the US to pay additional money to the UN with the stated goal of combating global poverty. Nice ideal. Poor implementation. Especially when the act would also facilitate and direct approval of certain UN treaties that have currently been rejected. Things like Kyoto, Law of the Sea treaty, and the UN small arms ban. Get those cell phones warmed up because it has passed the House and it was passed out of the senate committee yesterday. Let the elected folks up there know what you think.

Oh, this was sponsored by Obama - in case you had any questions about the intent.

Am I off base here? I don't think so, but I would love to hear it if I am.

aardwolf

Re: Global Poverty Act

Post by aardwolf »

Kalrog wrote:My understanding is that it would direct the US to pay additional money to the UN with the stated goal of combating global poverty. Nice ideal.
No, it's really bad. A nice ideal would be to severely cut government handouts, especially foreign handouts.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Obviously, the "distinguished senator from Illinois" failed arithmetic in grade school. He also wasn't paying attention during geography or history.

There isn't enough $$$ in the US of A to make a dent in "extreme global poverty", nor is there any possibility of distributing that $$$ in any effective manner. The UN has too many problems with graft/dishonesty/bribery to make this anywhere near credible.

IMHO.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Where did my post go?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Yes, I've read it. It amounts to international welfare -- taxes collected by the UN on wealthy countries like ours, and distributed to poor countries. And like all welfare, the amount distributed will only be a tiny fraction of what is collected, with the international bureaucrats getting most of the spoils.

Return to “Federal”