National Reciprocity on the horizon?

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: National Reciprocity on the horizon?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Given the relative heft of the California and New York congressional delegations, this has zero chance of passing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

seamusTX wrote:Zero. Nowhere. This bill will not get out of committee in the current Congress. No current candidate for president would sign it if it was passed by the next Congress.

I'm talking about political reality, not what I would like.

I'm not sure how my representative, Ron Paul, would vote on such a bill.

- Jim
I agree...As much as I don't think there is anyone here that would object to this passing...The political temperament of our government would not allow such a travesty against their need to maintain their power over us.../sarc

For shame!!! You mean you don't know where Ron would fall on this??? ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:My concern about federally-mandated reciprocity is that it would have to be based upon the Commerce Clause in the U.S. Constitution. There is no other authority for such legislation. The Commerce Clause is also the authority for the federal gun-free school zone law. If we ever have to fight the gun-free school zone statute, we will have to argue that it exceeds the scope of the Commerce Clause and invades the police powers of the states. I'd hate to be the attorney in oral arguments answering the obvious question from an appellate judge, "Mr. Cotton, do you feel the same way about the federal mandatory CHL reciprocity statute?"

Chas.
Yep...

[cringe] ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lawrnk »

Would love to see it. I think this will be the killer though..
Boozman's bill would require even Illinois and Wisconsin, which do not have right-to-carry laws, to recognize licenses issued in other states
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Return to “Federal”