The National Firearms Act of 1934

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

The National Firearms Act of 1934

Post by seamusTX »

This long article is a history of federal firearms laws: http://www.guncite.com/journals/hardfopa.html

I did not know, before I read it, that the bill that became the National Firearms Act of 1934 originally included all concealable firearms, including all handguns. The perception was that these weapons were suitable for criminal use and not so much for legitimate purposes.

The handgun part was amended out, but short-barrel rifles and shotguns remained, also with "any other weapons."

That was a near disaster. The $200 excise tax in 1934 was approximately equivalent to half a year's pay for a laborer. Combined with the requirement of local law enforcement approval, it would have been a virtual ban on handguns in many places.

This site contains some interesting, little-known history. Among other "anti-crime" measures, felons would have been prohibited from traveling in a motor vehicle, and internal passports would have been required for everyone for interstate travel.

- Jim

drw

Re: The National Firearms Act of 1934

Post by drw »

I'm surprised to see just how close we got to losing a tremendous amount of our liberties, all before most of us were even born. It really brings home to me the message that future generations may be counting on us to preserve and enhance their own liberties.

I also find the timeframe here interesting. 1934 was right as prohibition was ending. The crime lords who prospered under prohibition were now turning their efforts onto other kinds of crime. Based on this history, I would predict that if/when the US ends its "War on Drugs", all the drug lords will do the same thing, turning to other kinds of organized crime, thus renewing attempts to control crime through senseless laws and restrictions.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

Yeah, the NFA was stimulated by a series of alarming robberies and massacres by the likes of Bonnie and Clyde. The article also notes that the end of Prohibition threatened to put a lot of federal agents and local police out of work during the Depression, and they needed something else to do.

- Jim

SCone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SCone »

Read the US v. Miller case details, it makes no sense to me. It would seem that they were trying to loose the arguement.

Another item of interest, there's only been two murders with NFA firearms since 1934 and one of the murders was committed by a police officer.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Here's DAve Hardy's recent post. It's on DC Vs Heller
http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/guest/ ... 7151.shtml
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

seamusTX wrote:I did not know, before I read it, that the bill that became the National Firearms Act of 1934 originally included all concealable firearms, including all handguns. The perception was that these weapons were suitable for criminal use and not so much for legitimate purposes.

- Jim
Half a world away, another regime was doing the same thing.
Yet here at home the "papers, please" was being looked at as "for your protection" nanny-ism.

it's that old hypocritical thing, "You can't do that over there!!!" but it's okay if I do it....
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “Federal”