New Heller Lawsuit

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

New Heller Lawsuit

Post by dave_in_austin »

There are not many details yet, but Heller and others have filed suit against D.C. over the current restrictions on handguns.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,392705,00.html

From Fox news:

In a complaint filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Dick Heller and two other plaintiffs allege that the city's new gun regulations still violate rights guaranteed under the Constitution.
The lawsuit cites the District of Columbia's unusual ban on firearms that carry more than 12 rounds of ammunition, which includes most semiautomatic handguns.
The suit also claims that the city's regulations make it all but impossible for residents to keep a gun ready for immediate self defense in the home.
The Supreme Court struck down Washington's handgun ban June 26. The D.C. Council passed emergency legislation July 15 in an effort to comply with the court's ruling.

bdickens

Re: New Heller Lawsuit

Post by bdickens »

Outstanding! Keep it up, DC, keep it up.
Byron Dickens

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

So, what's the latest in the DC battle? Have they straightened up and are they following the SC's ruling to the letter?

I have not heard what's happening there lately......
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Tge last thing i heard about was the Senate action. They were going to, or did pass a bill to make D.C. quit playing games. sorry I cannot recall if they passed it.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

There have been several changes to DC ordinances, so I haven't been able to keep up with all of them. One of the most recent changes was changing their definition of "machine gun", which previously classed almost all semi-automatics with detachable magazines as "machine guns", because they could accept magazines holding more than 12 rounds.

They will still limit legal magazine capacity to 10 rounds, though.

Supposedly they're going to try to streamline the licensing process, which takes weeks of persistence and 4 (IIRC) visits to police headquarters, 2 visits to the selling dealer (outside DC), and 1 or 2 visits to the transferring FFL (inside DC). All of this adds a minimum of $250 to the cost of the gun.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Well,.......

Sounds like they are only gonna continue with the status quo..........attempting to "just barely" comply. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyone wanna take what's left of their money out of the stock market and invest in a FFL/Gun Strore in DC? Would make a fortune!..........after a few court battles..... :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here's a quick update on Heller II. D.C. kept passing 90 day emergency ordinances trying to dodge the second Heller case. They have finally passed a permanent ordinance relating to guns, but it still has to be signed by the Mayor. I'm hoping to get a copy of it soon, but I believe they have dropped the semi-auto ban and have adopted the BATFE definition of "machine gun." They may also have passed a ban on mags. holding more than 10 rds, but I'll know for sure when I get the copy.

Also, Mr. Heller must not think much more of his former attorney Alan Gura than I do; he didn't use Gura for Heller II!

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here's a quick update on Heller II. D.C. kept passing 90 day emergency ordinances trying to dodge the second Heller case. They have finally passed a permanent ordinance relating to guns, but it still has to be signed by the Mayor. I'm hoping to get a copy of it soon, but I believe they have dropped the semi-auto ban and have adopted the BATFE definition of "machine gun." They may also have passed a ban on mags. holding more than 10 rds, but I'll know for sure when I get the copy.

Also, Mr. Heller must not think much more of his former attorney Alan Gura than I do; he didn't use Gura for Heller II!

Chas.
Heller probably couldn't afford Gura. Heller didn't hire Gura in the first place. Heller was recruited by by Levy as was Gura.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here's a quick update on Heller II. D.C. kept passing 90 day emergency ordinances trying to dodge the second Heller case. They have finally passed a permanent ordinance relating to guns, but it still has to be signed by the Mayor. I'm hoping to get a copy of it soon, but I believe they have dropped the semi-auto ban and have adopted the BATFE definition of "machine gun." They may also have passed a ban on mags. holding more than 10 rds, but I'll know for sure when I get the copy.

Chas.
Heller probably couldn't afford Gura. Heller didn't hire Gura in the first place. Heller was recruited by by Levy as was Gura.
Heller didn't want Gura, plus Gura/Levy wouldn't have dumped the client who became a "brand name" for Second Amendment cases related to Washington D.C.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Chas.
Heller didn't want Gura, plus Gura/Levy wouldn't have dumped the client who became a "brand name" for Second Amendment cases related to Washington D.C.

Chas.
I'm sure Heller would have preffered a good free NRA supplied lawyer right from the beginning.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Federal”